Looking to keep quail, should I get hatching eggs or chicks?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sky5678, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Sky5678

Sky5678 Chirping

Apr 7, 2019
    Hello, I'm looking to keep quail in my backyard for eggs. I've never owned any game birds or similar animals, however I've done my research and I'm planning to start this summer. Where should I source my quails? Thanks!

Hatching Eggs:
    Pro - Relatively cheap and available for me, can watch chicks hatch
    Con - Risk of defective eggs from delivery, also using homemade incubator

Day-Old Chicks:
    Pro - Don't have to worry about incubation
    Con - Difficult to find, all online hatcheries have a minimum of 50 or more

2. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    Day old quail ship terribly! Get chicks if you can find them local and order eggs online if not :)

3. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    Most companies don’t ship day old quail because they don’t survive well at all. I would get eggs and incubate or if you have a hatchery or local quail farm, go pick up the chicks.

4. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    I'm in your boat, no nearby hatchery's. Was planning on mail ordering but have to get allot to make it worthwhile, and just don't think I need to try out quail with 60 of the little guys.

There is a somewhat local guy on Craigslist, and that would allow me to start small. However there's the nagging feeling wondering if his birds are high quality or not. If I am going to do quail then I want to do it right with good quality birds...

Decisions decisions

5. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Hatch! Welcome to byc!! Glad you could join the Flock! Let me know if you need anything!:wee:woot:welcome:highfive::yesss:

Sky5678 and CayugaJana like this.
  6. feedman77

feedman77 Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    :welcome @Sky5678

If you can source you eggs or chicks locally.
    Check on facebook, craigslist or on your state thread on here to see if anyone has has eggs or chicks close to you.

If you do find some local if they have eggs and chicks they may have some adults already laying they would sell.

Sky5678 and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  7. Sky5678

Sky5678 Chirping

Apr 7, 2019
    @Timothy Menezes While researching I discovered Stellar Game Birds and Purely Poultry - you should check them out. They sell hatching quail eggs at a minimum of 12. I'll probably be ordering from there, after researching how good they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: