Loose mineral mix for sheep turning to mush

Awaytome

Peace
Premium Feather Member
Feb 16, 2022
North Olympic Peninsula
It's been especially wet here this fall and the loose minerals I put out for my sheep turn into a mushy soup. I assume the salts are absorbing water from the air, as it's offered in a feeder inside the dry barn. I was just curious if anyone else experiences this? It's such a waste to throw it out every few days, but I haven't found a way to keep it dry. I don't know if the sheep take it when it's wet.

That's strange. You are sure there are no leaks in the barn? I've never had that happen and it can get very humid here. Is the mineral feeder close to the sheeps' water source? I'm wondering if a sheep is drinking water right before eating the mineral.

The feeder is a small two bowl thing that hangs on the wall. There is baking soda in the other bowl that gets a little lumpy but not soupy like the minerals. There isn't any water dripping into it. I've moved it to several different spots with the same outcome. Water trough is outside the barn, nowhere near the feeder. It happens every fall/winter with the fog and rain and the only thing I can imagine happening is the salt, which is hygroscopic, is absorbing water from the air, and I don't think there is any way to stop it using an open feeder. Honestly, we're a ten minute walk to the Sound and the humidity is so high even the hay in the feeder in the center of the barn feels damp after a couple hours.

Maybe monitor the sheep for a bit and see if any are actually going to the feeder? Otherwise what you could try would be mixing a little of the mineral with some honey or molasses on the side of the feeder to encourage them to lick... Sheep don't tend to like mineral blocks so I would avoid those if possible. The other thing you could try would be just to put the daily recommended serving of mineral out so you hopefully don't waste as much...

Hi, there! My name is Nicole. We raise Barbados blackbelly sheep in Northern Illinois and have experienced this in our barns. Our sheep live the block, we buy large ones and keep them out of the events. But for the lose minerals, I would recommend something that releases the minerals when they access it. It will save you money and ensure that everyone is getting what they need! People forget how important minerals are for their health, so kudos to you for even asking and trying to make this better! :)

Attachments

• IMG_9644.jpeg
    IMG_9644.jpeg
    758.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi, there! My name is Nicole. We raise Barbados blackbelly sheep in Northern Illinois and have experienced this in our barns. Our sheep live the block, we buy large ones and keep them out of the events. But for the lose minerals, I would recommend something that releases the minerals when they access it. It will save you money and ensure that everyone is getting what they need! People forget how important minerals are for their health, so kudos to you for even asking and trying to make this better! :)
Thanks for the tip, Nicole. I will check this out. We drilled a small hole in the bottom of the mineral feeder so the water drains, as a temporary measure. Not a great solution. Our soil is deficient in selenium so we offer minerals supplemented with it. We only have five Katahdin wethers that keep our fields in use, but still are concerned for their health.

Thanks for the tip, Nicole. I will check this out. We drilled a small hole in the bottom of the mineral feeder so the water drains, as a temporary measure. Not a great solution. Our soil is deficient in selenium so we offer minerals supplemented with it. We only have five Katahdin wethers that keep our fields in use, but still are concerned for their health.
Same with us! When we first started to raise sheep we had lambs born with Selenium deficiencies and it was a terrible experience. We learned that lesson very quickly! Selenium is super important, good call! :)

Back
Top Bottom