Losing a Chicken for no apparent reason

SuziQ18

Songster
Feb 17, 2017
Pacoima, CA
My Coop
My Coop
This morning I found one of my 8 month old Rhode Island Reds dead on the coop floor. When I first walked out to the coop it appeared as if she was just lying down in a dust bath. After a moment I realized she wasn't moving. There were no signs of an intruder, no signs of any kind of confrontation or disturbance, no strewn feathers, no blood. Just a few other hens gathered around her. I am thinking maybe she choked on something? I don't even know where to begin thinking of what happened. All of the other chickens are just fine. R.I.P Annie Yokely.

That unfortunately happens. Some just appear to drop dead, usually overnight. I generally chalk it up to a heart attack.

What exactly was her daily diet? Do you feed a complete chicken feed and or treats? Did she feel thin? Have you checked your birds for mites with a flashlight at night? Have you ever had their poop tested by a vet for worms? Dog vets can test it.

What exactly was her daily diet? Do you feed a complete chicken feed and or treats? Did she feel thin? Have you checked your birds for mites with a flashlight at night? Have you ever had their poop tested by a vet for worms? Dog vets can test it.
I feed Layena Pellets with Oyster Shell and Calcium. On hot days here in Southern California, I will put out some cool watermelon or cool white grapes occasionally in the afternoon. I also provide fresh greens from my garden, yogurt, or white beans to boost calcium and protein. The only treats they get would be mealworms occasionally, for obvious nutritional content. My hens do not have mites, poop is normal in color and shape. Thank you.

Watermelon, grapes, greens and yogurt are considered treats too.

Just make sure they are getting full on the feed first before all the treats.

Yes, it has happened to one of my hens before. One day she was fine at that moment and started going crazy the next minute. Then she just fell down and died. Could of been heart problems.

Same here a year old light brahma just laying on the coop floor and standing over her the other light brahma in the flock that was her sister. They were always glued together. Then the surviving sister stayed mostly in the coop for the next week just looking out the window which was so sad to watch. Eventually she came around and mixed with the rest of the girls. Sorry to hear about your loss........it's always sad to lose one.

Same here a year old light brahma just laying on the coop floor and standing over her the other light brahma in the flock that was her sister. They were always glued together. Then the surviving sister stayed mostly in the coop for the next week just looking out the window which was so sad to watch. Eventually she came around and mixed with the rest of the girls. Sorry to hear about your loss........it's always sad to lose one.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom