Lost a chicken in 4 minute window

Hi and welcome to BYC! From your description of the high brush in the area, the 4-minute "window of opportunity," the lack of visible movement on camera, lack of feathers or sign of violence and the fact that the dogs didn't alert, my guess is ... this is the "Case of the Speckled Band"!" Er, that is to say, I think odds are good that a snake got your hen. But please do let us know if she does show back up. One can always hope!
Thank you, that is certainly possible, snakes have been found here before. If we don’t find her in the morning I might be going with this theory.

Silkies have never been known as the smartest chickens in the coop. :lol:

But chances are decent that she is hunkered down somewhere safe. Hopefully predator pressure is low, and she will pop back out tomorrow.
I could probably lure most of mine out with a shake of my scratch can. They know treat time! If you do anything like that, maybe try it tonight.
She’s definitely not our smartest bird, lol! We will have to try the scratch but I’m not sure it will lure her out if she’s out there, she responds to it the least. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi and welcome to BYC! From your description of the high brush in the area, the 4-minute "window of opportunity," the lack of visible movement on camera, lack of feathers or sign of violence and the fact that the dogs didn't alert, my guess is ... this is the "Case of the Speckled Band"!" Er, that is to say, I think odds are good that a snake got your hen. But please do let us know if she does show back up. One can always hope!
I'm in Ohio also, and it's a little chilly for snakes right now. I'm wondering if she might have a cache of eggs hidden somewhere. Is that a possibility?

Update: WE FOUND HER!! She was about 50 ft from where she was last seen on camera, hunkering down in a hole in the middle of the brush. We must’ve walked past her several times last night but I guess she’s a good hider in the dark. She’s safely back in the coop now and we’re very thankful no predators found her. Thank you all so much for your input and support, I really would’ve struggled to make it through the night if I hadn’t had the hope you all had given me that she could still be out there. This is such a wonderful community and I’ve learned so much from you all over the past 6 months, I’m so glad you’re all here to help! Thanks!!

Update: WE FOUND HER!! She was about 50 ft from where she was last seen on camera, hunkering down in a hole in the middle of the brush. We must’ve walked past her several times last night but I guess she’s a good hider in the dark. She’s safely back in the coop now and we’re very thankful no predators found her. Thank you all so much for your input and support, I really would’ve struggled to make it through the night if I hadn’t had the hope you all had given me that she could still be out there. This is such a wonderful community and I’ve learned so much from you all over the past 6 months, I’m so glad you’re all here to help! Thanks!!
Oh wonderful!! Im so glad you found her. :bun :celebrate :clap:weesilly chicky. Glad she was safe and sound.

Back
Top Bottom