Lost all my chicks in coop.

jamiehopkins

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Quitman ms.
Lost all my chicks last night but one. I have one inch chicken wire on all sides with latch. What could have done this. Last week got the mother hen during free range. The chicks were 3 weeks old. No sign but one head left. Only evidence left. Don't have clue what could eat that many and still get out 1inch hole.

So sorry for your loss :( Sounds like maybe a snake? could have gotten in depending on where you live, or even a coon can reach through 1 inch wire and grab chicks and chickens, they are VERY smart and crafty. On my coop we used wire that has really small holes, like barely big enough to get the tip of my finger through. We haven't had rats, coons, or anything get in yet so I would really suggest using something like that instead. Here's a pic of the stuff

Last edited:
We call that hardware cloth down here
wink.png
...comes in 1 inch squares and 1/2 inch squares! I put that on my coops windows and will be using it around the bottom of my runs and buried in the ground around the bottom of my runs. Going to put it around the bottom of the coops and bury some there also!

I use the half inch stuff...

We are still a work in progress here, just starting up again after many years.

That's the name I was thinking of :he I kept thinking Landscaping Fabric but then I was like noo that's not right either. But yes that's what I used :p It does work quite well, we have lots of coons in our area but haven't lost any birds yet :D Are you sure your door is secured really well? I swear coons are half human and can pry open doors where they are not latched and slip through those cracks as well as unlatch them all together.... although I suppose they wouldn't be as courteous as to re-atch the door when they left :barnie

There is also the 1/4" hardware cloth too which has very small holes. Missing head could be raccoon? They can still stick their arms through 1" openings and pull out what ever they can get their paws on and it doesn't always end up being the whole chicken if you catch my drift. Also, weasels. I've read they can fit through something that small as well. Chicken wire is a joke really. It's used to keep chickens in, but doesn't do a lick of good to keep predators out. I wish retailers would stop labeling it chicken wire. I've heard of raccoons being able to rip it open, etc. Their determination and craftiness is frightening!
hmm.png

I feel you! I lost all mine too. only 2 left. the best we can do it accept it and move on. add more safety too.

Thank ya so much still got my 4 hens and rooster so I incubate some more. Just still don't understand it the coop is on four legs and 4 feet off the ground.it happen when I turn my lights off and camera off. Just strange but will get my flock back up. Just miss seeing them little chicks when I go out with coffee every morning. Thank all ya so much.

Back
Top Bottom