Lost my favorite Buff

write2caroline

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville
My neighbors dogs run all the time and I have called animal control constantly.....last night my neighbor called to say they got to my buff orp and left her twitching in the yard. I got home and she was still breathing but she didn't make it through the night. The dogs owners say they want to purchase a "replacement chicken for me" truth is though that their dogs have diminished my flock from 43 to 27 birds. We are processing the paperwork to have animal control invoke stronger measures. I don't think these folks realize that my chickens have greater costs than the initial purchase. Feed, electricity costs plus I sell my eggs so my income potential has also been diminished due to their lack of control to keep their animals on their property. City of Jacksonville just shortened the hours and budget for animal control so we have to call the Sheriff's office to come out and honestly, after speaking to the sheriff, there is really nothing they can do and I think they are better served catching bad guys than being stern about my neighbors and the repeated calls to animal control. I am really sad about my buff. I really loved her and she can't be replaced. It is just sad.
Caroline
hit.gif

hugs.gif

if you can catch the dogs-
some one on here had a good idea,can't remember who but they said to paint/draw a bullseye on the side of the dog and between the eyes and send it home.

i am sorry you lost her.people want to just buy you another bird but you can't replace their personality that easily.

I have tried to catch the dogs. They are really menacing and have growed and bitten other neighbors so all my close neighbors agreed to do the affidavits and get the animal control measures moving. A bunch of the neighborhood kids and even some of the adults have been bitten and or threatened just walking down the road so I handed out the forms and I need 3 besides mine to be turned in but they have to be notorized too. The neighbors also saw the dogs get the chicken out of my run and chase her over to the other neighbors home. So I have 12 eye witnesses who can attest and affirm they saw and tried to run the dogs off. They also all shared this with the sherrif who came out. As for paintball marker fire. We actually live on a paintball park. The problem with a paintball marker is that keeping the co2 cylinder on the gun for long periods of time is a problem because you still lose co2 so when you need to use the marker it might not fire plus the paintballs cannot be in humidity so they soften and expand so more than a day and they are no good to shoot. We actually tried it a while back. and keeping the marker nearly ready and trying to assemble it ... I am much too slow. My neighbor across the street has a 22 ready and waiting by her door as these dogs have bitten her grand kids on her property.

Thanks everyone for the support.....I really appreciate you all so much as I know you understand my pain.

I think the legal way has the most bite so I am going to make it happen if I have to hire a notorary and bring one to the house to get everyones forms notorized.

Caroline.

if the dogs have acted aggresively with you or people on your property, is there a vicous/dangerous dog policy for your county? if a dog is deemed dangerous there are strict guidelines on how they're handled and the dog and family are supervised by the police. i'm not sure if something like this is in your area but i'd hate to have you or your neighbor's grandchildren hurt.

If the Sheriff says there is "nothing they can do", they need to learn Florida law:

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusflst767_04.htm#s1

Title XLV. Torts. Chapter 767. Damage by Dogs.

767.01. Dog owner's liability for damages to persons, domestic animals, or livestock

Owners of dogs shall be liable for any damage done by their dogs to a person or to any animal included in the definitions of "domestic animal" and "livestock" as provided by s. 585.01.

767.04. Dog owner's liability for damages to persons bitten

The owner of any dog that bites any person while such person is on or in a public place, or lawfully on or in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, is liable for damages suffered by persons bitten, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owners' knowledge of such viciousness. However, any negligence on the part of the person bitten that is a proximate cause of the biting incident reduces the liability of the owner of the dog by the percentage that the bitten person's negligence contributed to the biting incident. A person is lawfully upon private property of such owner within the meaning of this act when the person is on such property in the performance of any duty imposed upon him or her by the laws of this state or by the laws or postal regulations of the United States, or when the person is on such property upon invitation, expressed or implied, of the owner. However, the owner is not liable, except as to a person under the age of 6, or unless the damages are proximately caused by a negligent act or omission of the owner, if at the time of any such injury the owner had displayed in a prominent place on his or her premises a sign easily readable including the words "Bad Dog." The remedy provided by this section is in addition to and cumulative with any other remedy provided by statute or common law.

CREDIT(S)

Laws 1949, c. 25109, § 1; Laws 1993, c. 93-13, § 1. Amended by Laws 1997, c. 97-102, § 1155, eff. July 1, 1997.

767.03. Good defense for killing dog
In any action for damages or of a criminal prosecution against any person for killing or injuring a dog, satisfactory proof that said dog had been or was killing any animal included in the definitions of "domestic animal" and "livestock" as provided by s. 585.01 shall constitute a good defense to either of such actions.

CREDIT(S)

Laws 1901, c. 4978, § 1; Gen.St.1906, § 3144; Rev.Gen.St.1920, § 4959; Comp.Gen.Laws 1927, § 7046; Laws 1979, c. 79-315, § 1; Laws 1994, c. 94- 339, § 2.​

OMGosh Thank you!

I am registered as a chicken ranch even though I only have less than 50 birds but I did that knowing that it would be proof that my chickens are livestock and not "pets" and the law protected livestock. And a member of the Florida Farm Bureau.

I just was not as accomplished at finding it as you did and I am copying this and submitting it with the affidavits.

None of us have been on the "dogs" property when bitten, walking on the road, riding bicycles on the road going past and more recently on our own property when these animals attacked.

In Duval County and as we are also still on Jacksonville City limits these dogs are not suppose to be running free even if these folks think that we are way out in the country and don't follow the leash law.

Thank you again!

Caroline
ya.gif
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
. I am going to give copies to all my neighbors too!

That is so awful. usually I am against killing animals, but a few weeks ago, something reached into our run and grabbed our only, irreplaceable White Rock, Eleanor. It injured two others, one gravely. the less injured has returned to the coop, and the other, Molly, a New Hampshire Red is vacationing on the Cape with us. that night I was just about ready to go find whatever it was and kill it. Buff Orpingtons are my favorite breed, and if I lost one of mine, I'd be devastated. those dogs should have been restrained long ago, before killing that many of your birds, so sorry. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom