Lost my first Chicken

smdcleland

Songster
Sep 4, 2021
Upstate, NY
Today I lost my first chicken. She was sitting all balled up. When I picked her up, her intestines were hanging out. I cannot figure out what happened to her. They were not coming out of her vent. They appeared to be coming out of a cut on her belly. Nothing was chewed on and she has no other injuries. All other chickens were fine as well. What could have happened to her?!

Today I lost my first chicken. She was sitting all balled up. When I picked her up, her intestines were hanging out. I cannot figure out what happened to her. They were not coming out of her vent. They appeared to be coming out of a cut on her belly. Nothing was chewed on and she has no other injuries. All other chickens were fine as well. What could have happened to her?!
I'm sorry you lost your hen :hugsI know it's tough, but try and think of it as a learning experience. Can we see some pictures of your setup? Is there any exposed wire, shelving, or sharp objects?

I found out what happened. When raking out their run, it appears there was old rusty metal fencing under the dirt that was unearthed. A big rusted metal bar was sticking up. She must have caught her belly on it. My husband pulled it all out of the ground so it's safe now. I feel so awful. My poor girl. I hope she didn't suffer long. It just breaks my heart that she had to go out in such an awful manner. I love and miss Ophelia. I feel so bad and sorry.

It's never easy to lose a bird, we have all learned through tough experiences and it is the heartbreaking part of life. There's likely no way you could have ever foreseen that metal hurting her even if you had noticed it before.

Hugs and don't beat yourself up.

I found out what happened. When raking out their run, it appears there was old rusty metal fencing under the dirt that was unearthed. A big rusted metal bar was sticking up. She must have caught her belly on it. My husband pulled it all out of the ground so it's safe now. I feel so awful. My poor girl. I hope she didn't suffer long. It just breaks my heart that she had to go out in such an awful manner. I love and miss Ophelia. I feel so bad and sorry.
Oh I'm so sorry it's so hard to loose a bird. I'm glad you found the culprit, I'm sure it was pretty quick. And at least it won't happen again.

Back
Top Bottom