Lost one of my favorite hens!-Update-Last Page-Great News!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nupine

Songster
12 Years
Nov 21, 2007
Ohio
Ok, I have this black silkie/turken pullet that I have had since she was a chick last November. She has black skin, black cochin like feathers, feathered feet, a crest, a single comb, and is so cute!!!!! I had her in a little A frame dog house and a small run with an Adult silkie roo, and 3 young silkie roos. Well last night, my mum and I were going to work on our garden [more like a jungle]. It was about 7, and the weather was great. The A frame house is surrounded by nice grass, so I decided I would let them out for the first time to graze, and then round them up and put them back in their house when we go in. I thought the black hen was super friendly and calm, so I opened the door. The adult roo and her walked out. I hurried up and shut the door, because at that moment I had a feeling I made the wrong choice. The roo was content, so I left him there. But little ''Raven'' started to get ancy. So I try to catch her. I round her up into what will soon be our new coop. I am so close and I grab her. I have a bunch of feathers in my hand, but she FLIPS and a huge handful of feathers come out!!!!!!!!!!! So she takes off down the hill, and hides in the brush. So I am poked and prodded by briars but I pursue and almost have her but she gets away. As she walks to our house, I go to our garage, which is very close by, and grab a hanful of bird seed for her. I go towards our house and I can't find her! So I search high and low, but no Raven. So about an hour or so later I hear our dog barking, he takes of down the drive way, he sees something. RAVEN!!!!! She is right by the road!! He isn't a chicken killer, but he is a setter, so I am afraid he will get her!!! I run down the driveway, she is safe. Good Shadow. I o through more briars, get cut, almost have her, but she gets away. Then I see our neighbor boys, and they come help. So three or us are diving into briars, fences, and trees, but she takes off up a hill. I lose sight of her. Now my precious Raven is gone!!!!!!!!!! I will search today, but even if I see her, how will I catch her? She is a great little flier, and she blends in very well. I am so sad. She was going ot be the start of my showgirl program.

Last edited:
If they have been locked in the little coop long enough she should come home to roost.

Perhaps a butterfly net if you see her out and about?

so sorry to hear that your hen dissappeared.maybe she is just hiding.an will show back up today.never feel bad for letting your hens freerange.sometimes they will dissappear.an thats not your falt.

Wait until dusk, she will probably come back and want to go inside. My chickens put themselves in every night. Yesterday we had to travel to my brother's, so John and Kym were in charge (two of our adult kids) John decides they need to go in the coop while he and Kym go to town. Takes him about half an hour to get all the chickens in while Kym guards the door.

They come back from town, let the chickens back out. About four it starts to get blustery so they decide the chickens need to go back in. So it's chase and run all over again!
I got home about 9:30. They tell me their story. Shoulda seen their faces when I told them the chickens will go home on their own!

Be patient, get a treat if you see her come home, and toss into coop! She wants to be home.

I hope she shows up today. If you can fence your other chickens away from the gate so that the little hen can enter the run without the other birds escaping - you may find it easy to capture her again.

Right now, because of the feathers' incident, she will be afraid of you. Still, she doesn't want to be out on her own. Perhaps, she's even now at one of your neighbor's homes. A human companion, a horse or even a tolerant dog will be preferable to being alone. I never actually try to catch a chicken unless they "want" to be caught. You can assess this "wanting" by raising your hand above their head and they squat down so that you can pick them up.

I teach my chickens early on that a certain noise means something good to eat - you can shake a can, make clucking noises, "chick-chick-chick," whatever.

When 1st allowing chickens out to range, I find it best to wait until they are nearly ready to roost in the late afternoon. It's kinda like, "Oh, the great big world I've been wanting to see!" "Oh, maybe I'd better go in!" Oh, the gate is open!" "No, I'd be happier indoors!" "Fresh grass!" "Oh, darkness!" Pretty soon they'll be all tucked away, safe and sound with the gate standing open and you right there beside it all the time leaning on a post.

The next afternoon, give them just a little more time before the evil darkness descends. By the 4th or 5th afternoon, they'll be old hands at checking out the lawn before turning in for the night. Then you can start allowing them out anytime it is safe and then calling them back to their yard with a treat.

And, here is wishing you the best of luck with that hen.

Steve

Sure hope you get her back but I got to ask about.....

Quote:
What are you going to do down the line? Your ratio of hens to roo's seem upside down & by your tag line I'm thinking they are not destined for the stew pot....

She hasn't came back yet.
sad.png
:eek: The area she went to is quite steep, so I have only went up there looking for her 3 times since she got lost. She is very special and I hope she shows up.

Oh, wait. The 4 silkie roos, one, the adult is mine, and the other 3 are for sale. I have already sold many of them. I put them in the classifieds again this week. But silkies in a stew pot? Heavens no!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom