Lost our rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smoketownchick, Nov 27, 2008.

1. smoketownchick

smoketownchick New Egg

Jun 24, 2008
    I am new to keeping chickens and to this forum. I appreciate the wisdom and wit offered here. We raised 26 hens of 7 various breeds and 3 RIR roosters. I gave away 10 hens and 2 roosters to friends earlier this fall. Now we are sad because we lost our beautiful RIR rooster this week. [​IMG] We are believe he died of injury as there was blood on sides of the coop and several broken feathers. We are unsure as to how it happened as he was healthy the night before and the coop was complete closed up for the night. We don't think he was pecked though.

My question is this: If I can find a replacement rooster, how hard will it be to integrate him into my flock of hens? Should I wait until spring?

Smoketownchick

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Most hens will take to a new male ok if they haven't had one for a bit. That poor roo!!!! Was there any indication of something digging in? How sad. [​IMG]

3. smoketownchick

smoketownchick New Egg

Jun 24, 2008
    No indication of anything digging in. We do have wire fencing from the floor to the ceiling that separates the chickens from the goat. I don't know if he could have caught a wing there and became stunned or not. The only other option is a fight with one of the hens. He was a good roo...protected his girls, gave them the goodies first...never was aggressive with me.....he was beautiful.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG] .I would wait a week or longer before I introduced a new rooster unless your hens are missing him badly.

5. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    sorry about your roo

6. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Very sorry for your loss.
    I can't advise you as I am new to this as well. I hope you can find and integrate a nice new roo.

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Poor roo [​IMG] I hope the girls will take a new boy.

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    So sorry about your loss [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. smoketownchick

smoketownchick New Egg

Jun 24, 2008
    Thank you all for your kind remarks. I think I'll take Pinky's advice and wait awhile - maybe even late winter to look for another rooster.

Smoketownchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by