Lost our rooster

smoketownchick

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
I am new to keeping chickens and to this forum. I appreciate the wisdom and wit offered here. We raised 26 hens of 7 various breeds and 3 RIR roosters. I gave away 10 hens and 2 roosters to friends earlier this fall. Now we are sad because we lost our beautiful RIR rooster this week.
sad.png
We are believe he died of injury as there was blood on sides of the coop and several broken feathers. We are unsure as to how it happened as he was healthy the night before and the coop was complete closed up for the night. We don't think he was pecked though.

My question is this: If I can find a replacement rooster, how hard will it be to integrate him into my flock of hens? Should I wait until spring?

Smoketownchick

No indication of anything digging in. We do have wire fencing from the floor to the ceiling that separates the chickens from the goat. I don't know if he could have caught a wing there and became stunned or not. The only other option is a fight with one of the hens. He was a good roo...protected his girls, gave them the goodies first...never was aggressive with me.....he was beautiful.

I'm so sorry for your loss
hit.gif
.I would wait a week or longer before I introduced a new rooster unless your hens are missing him badly.

Thank you all for your kind remarks. I think I'll take Pinky's advice and wait awhile - maybe even late winter to look for another rooster.

Smoketownchick

Back
Top Bottom