LOUD Chicken Breeds

What breeds that you own are the loudest?

• Total voters
God bless ducks..... One of my neighbors commented that my rooster was waking up her rooster, who in turn was waking her up at 4 or 5 in the morning. She had also been complaining about the green duckweed covered mess of a pond her husband had for his cattle. I suggested he get some ducks. Now i get tickled when i get up mornings around 4 and hear a party going on in her pond.
She has even decided she didn't really need to sleep till 10. We are both happier with the added accomplishments during those additional 5 hours.
God bless ducks, indeed!
❤️

There’s been a TON of questions on BYC about which chickens to avoid in a neighborhood because they are loud. I thought it might be helpful to some members if people shared info in one general spot in a poll.

If you check any breeds you own that our LOUD, then write your quietest breeds in the comments. I’m only including large/standard fowl in the poll and could only pick 20 so tried to find the most common, but feel free to add your loud bird breed in an extra comment!
My loudest is Stanley. A white bantam my grandson chose. My amerucana has a gentle clock a doddle.

My White Campines have been my loudest chicken breed. They screech very loudly when they are ready to get out of the coop/run to go free ranging and also alert the flock to predators. I've always worried about my neighbors until some got guinea hens - no worries now. Now that I'm down to one Campine in my mixed breed flock - she is older and doesn't lay eggs anymore so has become the stand-in rooster. Stands guard while the others lay eggs. 😄👍

My Buff Orpington Henri. I specifically got a Buff because I heard they were a quiet and calm breed. Not Henri. She screams at any hen in the nest laying, as if saying "HURRY UP THOSE ARE MINE!!" Or goes on a random rant multiple times a day. She reminds me of Angelica from the cartoon Rugrats 🤣

And she's always broody.

I love her haha

We just had to get rid of a beautiful Plymouth Rock Barred rooster (to a friend who has a farm). Loved him, truly. An amazing disposition. Protected his ladies and didn't mind anyone picking him up, holding him, and petting him. The problem was that he crowed all the time... from dawn to 10pm... loud. We're in a suburb. While the neighbors didn't say anything, as we're friends with all of them... we knew he was a nuisance. Ordinances allow two birds. We had six counting him, as the borough manager said it isn't a problem as long as the neighbors don't care. So, he had to go, before anyone complained and all the ladies had to go. FWIW, all the birds were fed well, secure, and happy, in a decent-sized coop. There wasn't any reason for him to crow other than to show his dominance and make sure his ladies knew he was there. I think he just liked the sound of his crow. Lol.

Our quietest by far is an Ameraucana hen. She doesn't make a noise. Just coos. A great little bird, although skittish. The second quietest and nicest by far is our Black Moran... only makesow clucking sounds for treats and when she wants to be picked up or let out of the coop.

I had a sex link hen (far right in my avatar) that would just run to the gate and scream her head off- epic decibel proportions that was JUST NOT NORMAL. We loved her just the same and found she was quietest when we were around and she was allowed out. :lau

Our quietest have been EE's and Wyandotte's.

My quietest: Buff Orpington
My Crested Cream Legbars have recently started to lay but so far are also very quiet.
So loud I had to rehome them: Dominique and Wyandottes. They yelled and screamed ALL DAY! Which, of course, really really annoyed the neighbor. Too bad because they were friendly and good layers.

Back
Top Bottom