Luikse Vechter aka Liege Fighter Thread

Pics
No problem! Actually looks like both of my 9 1/2 month old pullets are laying now so maybe that is a typical age for them - they both started within a couple days of each other. 😁
So they're both pullets then? I think that was one of your questions before in another thread, but you only have one Liege now or maybe I'm mistaken :) well hopefully then my girls will be laying just around the corner! I'm going to mix in some starter feed back in too since they're dual purpose and I'm told they still need higher protien -- which I think your Liege are too.

So they're both pullets then? I think that was one of your questions before in another thread, but you only have one Liege now or maybe I'm mistaken :) well hopefully then my girls will be laying just around the corner! I'm going to mix in some starter feed back in too since they're dual purpose and I'm told they still need higher protien -- which I think your Liege are too.
Yes they are both pullets!! I actually have 3 liege fighter pullets but one is quite a bit younger than the other two. And yeah I have heard that about lieges needing extra protein! I’m working out trying to buy ingredients to start mixing my own feed one day but right now I’ve just been feeding them a pretty standard organic layer feed that I found plus whatever fresh/high protein treats I have on hand!! They also free range all over my wooded property in the summer/spring/fall so I think they’ve been finding a lot of good bugs and stuff that way. They seem really healthy and have had no issues with their eggs or laying so far so I think they must be getting enough? 🤷‍♀️ But yeah I’m definitely trying to up my chicken feed game in the near future, I’ve honestly had such a hard time finding anything good in Canada! So I think I’ll have to end up supplementing them with my worm bin or fish or something like that.

I hope your pullets start laying soon!! 🤞🤞🤞 it’s so exciting to find that first egg 🥰

Okay I have an update to my own question haha in case anyone else wants to know - my one liege fighter pullet just began laying yesterday which is 9 1/2 months old.
OMG actually have another update to this question lol. So I have 3 liege fighter pullets but one of them was from a separate batch of chicks which is much younger and so I didn’t even consider to mention her in this - she is 5 1/2 months old and she just now laid her very first egg 😮 so ya, I guess I didn’t add much to being able to guess when lieges start laying lol - somewhere between 5-10 months 😂

That's great you get to free range them, I'm doing that too when the weather is nice. Fodder trays are a good idea for winter and as treats in general. I'm starting some seed now. And now that you mention it I think you did tell me about the third pullet in your thread :) but yeah can't wait, looking forward to the day I no longer have to buy eggs off the shelf!

Hey guys! I currently have 3 liege fighter pullets, I was wondering if anybody has any idea when they roughly start to lay? Mine are 9 months old now and haven’t started laying yet is that normal in your experiences?
Mine was about 10 months, but she also matured in the fall/winter so I also feel like that delayed it a while too. I live in Southern Texas and quite a few of my hens (non-Liege) will lay all winter.

My Belgian Liege and Belgian Brugse chickens

Attachments

• 20220223_153006.jpg
    20220223_153006.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20220223_152208.jpg
    20220223_152208.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220223_152302.jpg
    20220223_152302.jpg
    967.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211130_140529_remastered.jpg
    20211130_140529_remastered.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20211130_140435_remastered.jpg
    20211130_140435_remastered.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 2526034-47329ec8e697b88fee196cc8c2a56147_remastered.jpg
    2526034-47329ec8e697b88fee196cc8c2a56147_remastered.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20220302-092809_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220302-092809_Chrome.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 16
That's great you get to free range them, I'm doing that too when the weather is nice. Fodder trays are a good idea for winter and as treats in general. I'm starting some seed now. And now that you mention it I think you did tell me about the third pullet in your thread :) but yeah can't wait, looking forward to the day I no longer have to buy eggs off the shelf!
Yes I looove watching the free range it makes me so happy haha! I can’t wait till spring when they’ll be out and about again 😁😁

Also I’ll have to look up fodder trays that sounds really cool! I hope you get your eggs soon! I think I have just hit the point now where I won’t have to buy eggs again and that is my first real taste of self sufficiency and it feels GREAT! 😁

Back
Top Bottom