Luikse Vechter aka Liege Fighter Thread

Pics
I have a question about Belgian Liege Fighter hens. I am new with this breed, and I'm really loving, and enjoying them. Definitely my favorite out of all the different chicken breeds I've owned in the past. My question is......Is their anyone out there in the Belgian Liege Fighters community that can tell me if Liege Fighter hens go broody or not. I would rather have my chicks be raised naturally then have to incubate the eggs. And I need to know incase I have to buy an incubator.
From extensive research and asking a million questions on forums and FB, not likely.

I have a question about Belgian Liege Fighter hens. I am new with this breed, and I'm really loving, and enjoying them. Definitely my favorite out of all the different chicken breeds I've owned in the past. My question is......Is their anyone out there in the Belgian Liege Fighters community that can tell me if Liege Fighter hens go broody or not. I would rather have my chicks be raised naturally then have to incubate the eggs. And I need to know incase I have to buy an incubator.
I am not sure about Belgian specifically, but mine do fair with hatching as long as there is enough bedding. They can crush some of the eggs if they get harrassed by other chickens as well. The most I have had one raise is like 5 though so not exactly the best. Mine have also been very aggressive with other hens and their chicks. I don't mean when they peck a chick and hold it for a bit either. I mean grab and throw, which is the only hens I have ever seen do that. We free range, but if we didn't then I could see that being our biggest issue.

I have heard from a couple people that you should have low roosts because they have injured their legs from jumping down from perches that were too high.
Mine roost in trees just like the rest and so far have never had any leg injuries related to falling. They do make a sickening thump when they get pushed out while jockeying for the best spot. Take this with a grain of salt, because mine are free ranged without a large supply of feed. I have seen pictures of some that look a bit beefier than mine, which might make a difference.

Well, this is getting silly, lol. I went out today to get pictures and it was sunny and perfect. Just finishing up chores, about to go get the camera and boom - thunderstorm.

Luckily it blew over fast. So, here's some pictures, and if you see mud, ignore it :p

This guy is a looker. Definitely keeping him.

View attachment 2179909

View attachment 2179910

My other two cockerels look like this guy:

View attachment 2179911

My blue pullet:

View attachment 2179912

One of my black pullets, saying that she definitely can see me creeping on her while she's perching in the pop door:

View attachment 2179913

The coloring is intense! 👍

Mine went broody this year and I let her do her thing. Out of 7 eggs one hatched on it's own and the other one had to be helped because the crushed the shell and they were trapped in the sack. 2 servived. Would have been 3 but she squashed the guts out of it when she stepped on it.

Hey guys! I currently have 3 liege fighter pullets, I was wondering if anybody has any idea when they roughly start to lay? Mine are 9 months old now and haven’t started laying yet is that normal in your experiences?

Hey guys! I currently have 3 liege fighter pullets, I was wondering if anybody has any idea when they roughly start to lay? Mine are 9 months old now and haven’t started laying yet is that normal in your experiences?
Okay I have an update to my own question haha in case anyone else wants to know - my one liege fighter pullet just began laying yesterday which is 9 1/2 months old.

Back
Top Bottom