Lurch1014 my coop (The Hillbilly Hutch).

lurch1014

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
West Wardsboro, VT
Just finished expanding the chickens yard/run area by 10ft. It's a 10ft by 10ft square larger. Will post pics soon. It's definitely a backyard coop. Not pretty but functional and safe. They also have a shelter or house and the original yard section. The entire thing is fenced in.

Solved my dirty water issue by using one of the members suggestion and raising the dispensers up off the ground. Next project will be a automatic food dispenser. Already gathered the materials needed to build my own. Will post some pics of that when it's finished.

picture of the side of the coop where we enter. New yard expansion is on the far side not shown in this picture. Also will be expanding the house/shelter section soon. Although it is bigger than it looks and has plenty of room for the flock.

Last edited:
The entire coop slash yard/run has a roof over it to keep it all dry. And also shade the birds in the summer. The new yard expansion section has a removable roof so I can remove the roof on nice hot days and when it really needs help drying out.

front view of original coop section facing the yard to the left is where they now go out into the new section. That window inside closes for cold weather along with the door.

Last edited:
One of the best feelings is giving your flock more protected room to run around in! Nice addition to your coop. I want to get some bamboo started on the outside of my run... I think it would be a great way to get some more shade...might dress mine up a little. Mine is pretty tacky looking, but it is functional, like yours.

One of the best feelings is giving your flock more protected room to run around in! Nice addition to your coop. I want to get some bamboo started on the outside of my run... I think it would be a great way to get some more shade...might dress mine up a little. Mine is pretty tacky looking, but it is functional, like yours.
I agree. And no reason why we can't decorate or dress them up with plants etc. To make the coop look nicer. I've also been planting herbs near by the chickens can eat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom