One of the pied girls has finally laid her first egg. Let's not assume it was laid anywhere sensible or clean, but hey, it's an egg! I gave up poultry while I was finishing my degree, so it's our first home laid egg in a long time.
That's so eggciting!!! :woot

Its always so exciting finding that first egg isn't it? :wee and the 2nd... and 3rd.... and 4th.... and 50th
And the 500th! :D

Free-range season is over for the ducks here. The pond is frozen and ground covered in snow. 2nd day of real cold, so they haven't acclimated yet and are a little chilled.

They're separated in 2 groups, the "oldies"
DSC_0009_mod.jpg

DSC_0005_mod.jpg

And the young'uns
DSC_0008_mod.jpg

DSC_0006_mod.jpg

My drakes are a bit younger than my females. The girls have been flirting for a while, and the boys have been oblivious. Finally, I spotted a drake on top on the pond. There was some of what may have been productive action, but rather more of standing sideways on the hen duck's back and casually having a drink or looking around. Not sure whether to call this boy UnRomeo or Don JuanNot!

So, I've only just realised the pics are blurry (sorry) but you can still see what I'm talking about. I noticed this afternoon this big boy has a spot on each side of his beak just above it where the carnucles are forming.View attachment 1962248 View attachment 1962249 Do you think this means he'll get colour later? He does have a greenish tinge on top of his head
Cute duck! :love What color are you talking about? Are you asking if his caruncles will turn red? :)

Back
Top Bottom