Maine

I find that the food from Blue Seal and Agway is not sub par at all. I find it to be superior to that of TCS in look, texture and smell. The closest mill I know of is out of state.

I second (or is it third now) Blue Seal. I use it for all my birds (turkeys, ducks, chickens) and my goats. I think my birds look pretty good and the guy I got my goats from said they looked better than his on Poulin grain (of course one did die but I don't think it was related to the grain).

I use both Poulin and Blue Seal. I like both and use them interchangeably since the two feed stores I frequent are about equal distance from my house just in different directions. So it depends on what other errands I need to do when I need grain as to which store I go to.

Thanks for the tips! The Farmers Union and the place in Detroit are a bit of a haul, but I think it'll be worth it - half a ton at a time is right about what im looking for. We go through close to 100lbs a week, and buying it retail at shops that dont offer multibag discounts is a pain (as is running back and forth to the shop constantly). 1000# would take us just over two months to go through, I can pour a whole 50# bag into my FF bucket and its gone in two-three days with all the ducks and meat cockerels, even 'supplementing' the meaties with whey-and-milk-soaked leftover bread from the bakery and free-ranging everyone with feathers. The Agway is convenient, but I'd prefer to have fresh-milled feed that hasn't been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse forever and a day. I used to work distribution for a large pet store, and I know exactly how long those bags are stored in what sorts of conditions, and it is not in a way that maximizes nutrition...leading to the birds eating more volume to get the same benefits. Having it fresh milled and being able to manage the storage myself is very appealing. Thanks again for the info!

We want to build a run for our current hens and get a couple more chicks. Hubby doesn't think we should get more chicks until we get the run built. Well, at this rate, I might have to sneak to the feed store and get the chicks anyways. Run or no run! That still gives us a month to get the run built which I would think is reasonable.

Major Chicken chores day! Cleaned out coop, got new shavings and DH took some time to run some extra security around the backside of the coop- it's up on skids a big, so he blocked the space where something could get under and dig in- the floor of the coop is part of an old deck, made of pressure treated wood, and topped with linoleum flooring, but I guess you can't really be too sure!

We need to make the run bigger now that they are spending more time in it..unless someone has a few llamas I could have as guardians.....

Also we re-splinted the broken toe- one of our ladies was unharmed by the predator except for this. It seems to be doing fine, and she is getting around fine too.

Also sprayed veggies with neem oil- I noticed a lot of aphids on my poppies, and have started to notice them in the garden.

Now....I'm taking a break and trying a new recipe for strawberry rhubarb hand pies!

Mainechick, where do you get your neem? I want to try it out but it can be expensive!

Mustardtiger- I use Organica K+neem- its a concentrated insecticidal soap, USDA approved for organic use- I bought mine at Longfellow's greenhouse in Manchester I believe. I'm guessing it was around $20.00. When I need something more heavy duty, I used Spinosad, also organic approved- It saved the day when I had a major Colorado potato beetle problem.

Back
Top Bottom