Maine

coop envy !
I got asked to exhibit my carved eggs at the egg festival!!
celebrate.gif

My chicks home is basically done and they went out yesterday afternoon! Still need to build the nesting boxes and a run but they are happy in their new home! My Dh did a super job!!
Oh my goodness! That's adorable. What are the dimensions? How many girls do you plan for it?

I'm delighted to be getting eggs from 3/5 of my girls. Quite a color assortment to start: standard brown, blue, and mossy green with white spots. Can't wait until the 3rd EE lays an egg to see what color she gives me. The EE are quiet with their egg laying ritual, however the BSL screams about it for several hours before the event.

Love your "girls" new home, Cyndischicks-so cute!!

I need to ask some advice about integrating chicks/pullets. I'm wondering if I've just created a big problem for myself and should just rehome the ones I've yet to introduce to my older pullets. Three of the original chicks I purchased in March (1 Americana and 2 BRs-15wks) do fine together, but since then, I've picked up 2 BOs(about 10 wks), and a Black Australorp (4 wks). Also had a RIR chick given to me, but plan to rehome her(?), anyway. BOs are together. BA and RIR are together. Wondering how I should go about this? I've already started to introduce 15 wk pullets and BOs and tonight the Americana and BOs are together in the coop for the second night. I've got the BRs together in a tractor outside their run. BA and RIR are still inside in our basement. It just seems so complicated. I'm not in a place where I can let them all free-range with out close supervision and for short periods of time. I just really need to stay out of Aubuchon Hardware when the have new chicks in!
hmm.png
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Pyrless Stargate Command
aka Samantha (or Big White Fluffy Thing)
2/16/2005-6/29/2013

She peacefully crossed the Rainbow Bridge this morning.
Oh, Widget, I am so sorry to hear about Sam.
hugs.gif
What a lovely picture of her!! I glad that she was able to pass peacefully but it is never easy losing one of your furry children.

Love your "girls" new home, Cyndischicks-so cute!!

I need to ask some advice about integrating chicks/pullets. I'm wondering if I've just created a big problem for myself and should just rehome the ones I've yet to introduce to my older pullets. Three of the original chicks I purchased in March (1 Americana and 2 BRs-15wks) do fine together, but since then, I've picked up 2 BOs(about 10 wks), and a Black Australorp (4 wks). Also had a RIR chick given to me, but plan to rehome her(?), anyway. BOs are together. BA and RIR are together. Wondering how I should go about this? I've already started to introduce 15 wk pullets and BOs and tonight the Americana and BOs are together in the coop for the second night. I've got the BRs together in a tractor outside their run. BA and RIR are still inside in our basement. It just seems so complicated. I'm not in a place where I can let them all free-range with out close supervision and for short periods of time. I just really need to stay out of Aubuchon Hardware when the have new chicks in!
hmm.png
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
I have better luck integrating newcomers in a small group, after they hav been together long enough to bond a bit. After integration into the larger group, they (the newcomers) hang together and the established group pick on the group less than a lone chicken.

Oh! she has got it!

Wow, Maine has it's own thread? a 900+ page one no less.
I'm newly registered, I live in the Lincoln County area in Maine. No birds of my own but I am interested in perhaps getting some pheasants or peafowl when i get some property and it becomes feasible to do so.

Congrats Hoppy that is so cool! I just inherited some Pysanky egg decorating tools. I am looking forward to trying them out!

awesome new coop. I am envious too. Maybe next year we will build a cute one. Ours is very....utilitarian!

as far as advice on integrating....I have had better luck integrating my 7 new chicks who are about 8 weeks old in with my big girls who are over a year old. Last time I integrated just 2 8 week old chicks and they got picked on badly by the older 6. I think since there are a large number of newcomers they aren't getting beat up as much. They also have a baby roo in there who helps protect them.

I did build a small fenced in area under the next boxes for them to escape to. I stapled up some plastic garden fencing and cut a hold only big enough for the smaller chicks to get through so they could escape in there if one of the big girls is after them. It has been a week and a bit now and they are living together without incident, though they keep to separate flocks when out ranging still. Last time I put a small pet carrier inside the big coop and put food and water for the small chicks in there so they could have access and have a place to escape.

Welcome Kazz!

Oh my goodness! That's adorable. What are the dimensions? How many girls do you plan for it?

I'm delighted to be getting eggs from 3/5 of my girls. Quite a color assortment to start: standard brown, blue, and mossy green with white spots. Can't wait until the 3rd EE lays an egg to see what color she gives me. The EE are quiet with their egg laying ritual, however the BSL screams about it for several hours before the event.
Pretty sure it's 7 x 10 . We have 10 BO hens and 2 roos. Hopefully that is enough room for them if not we will be building on!! They are only 6 weeks old so they look pretty small in there. We still need to frame out the door, paint, put in nest boxes, insulation and walls plus a run, but for now just glad they have a place out of the dining room! lol

Back
Top Bottom