Malay thread

Pics
Here is one of my young Malay stags next to my Jersey Giant rooster. The Jersey Giant rooster stands 27.5" at the tip of his comb. The young Malay is only 14 Weeks Old!! His siblings are just as tall as he is. They are going to be some tall birds.

Here's a pic of some of my Malays
What does everyone think?

Here are my young Malays now. My Malay parents are a Duckwing Male and a Laced Red Pyle Female. They must carry recessive white genes because solid white chicks keep popping up.
They are only 14 weeks old! They are going to be some tall birds.

Red Pyle Stag

Duckwing pullet

Recessive White Stag

Duckwing Pair

Hi All,

My wife recently announced that she wanted some layers for fresh eggs. We only want maybe four good laying hens. We also just moved into our dream house on a 4 acre wooded lot. I plan to free range the hens, and thought it would be cool to have a nice rooster to protect them. I started Googling and came upon the Malay. I could hardly believe such a chicken existed, and immediately fell in love. I am a gecko breeder, and have had reptiles all my life. I'm also a pretty hardcore amateur paleontologist...and chickens don't get any more dinosaur than the malay.

I am Indiana...and our winters can be harsh. Is that a major issue? I have read that it can be, but some seem to do fine...kind of confusing.

So if I had four hens of a good laying breed, and then got one malay cockerel...in your opinion...would that work? I could keep him seperated until he grew up a bit...just thought it would be best to let the hens get accustomed to our place before I tossed this giant amongst them.

He will be a pet as well, so I'd like to get him as young as possible to imprint him on us the best we can. I don't even have our coup built yet, so if this isn't a feasible arrangement, I'd like to get it out of my system now.

Thanks

Hi All,

My wife recently announced that she wanted some layers for fresh eggs. We only want maybe four good laying hens. We also just moved into our dream house on a 4 acre wooded lot. I plan to free range the hens, and thought it would be cool to have a nice rooster to protect them. I started Googling and came upon the Malay. I could hardly believe such a chicken existed, and immediately fell in love. I am a gecko breeder, and have had reptiles all my life. I'm also a pretty hardcore amateur paleontologist...and chickens don't get any more dinosaur than the malay.

I am Indiana...and our winters can be harsh. Is that a major issue? I have read that it can be, but some seem to do fine...kind of confusing.

So if I had four hens of a good laying breed, and then got one malay cockerel...in your opinion...would that work? I could keep him seperated until he grew up a bit...just thought it would be best to let the hens get accustomed to our place before I tossed this giant amongst them.

He will be a pet as well, so I'd like to get him as young as possible to imprint him on us the best we can. I don't even have our coup built yet, so if this isn't a feasible arrangement, I'd like to get it out of my system now.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom