~MALAYSIAN SERAMA THREAD~ (PICS!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if someone can give me an opinion? I have a quad of Seramas that I hatched in February. My rooster, Pepper, has bald spots on his neck (one on each side). He's had them since he feathered out. I thought that they would go away as he matured, but they're still there.
sad.png
The other odd thing about Pepper is that his feathers aren't solid - for lack of a better term. The ends don't stick together like a normal feather. He also has a couple of curly hackle feathers. Could these be signs that he's got some of the silkied feather genetics?

This is him protesting having his picture taken. The bald patches are under his "ears"

34843_pepper_1.jpg

This is a close up of his hackle feathers:

34843_pepper_hackle_2.jpg

Austinhart, Gorgeous!
love.gif
I love how built your roosters are but the hens are magnificent too! I think it's harder to get the typier (sp?) hens. Your hens are wonderful! The darker beaks are outstanding! Do you sell any of your Serama's?

My 2 Serama hens are beginning to lay again since the weather has cooled a bit and the young rooster I hatched out earlier this year is looking pretty good now for a young roo. I can't wait to see him in another year.

8809_seramaroo1_byroo1aug25_2010_02.jpg

Here's one of my most recent little roos. He's about 2 months old. He's got some weird white fluff under his feathering. I can't wait to see what he changes to. Seems my roos go through some weird color changes till they're about 6 months. His feathering here is immature stuff. I've had them totally change in colors.

8809_seramarooster8_31aug2010_02.jpg

Here is an example of how much my roos change in appearance. First pic is at a couple months, second pic is same roo at 6 months.....now my pullets don't really seem to change much. They have the same color but it's a clearer, cleaner look.
Can you believe, putting these 2 pics together, that they are of the same young rooster?? I was sort of hoping he would keep the cool pattern and color but I'm not complaining,
wink.png

8809_seramachick5_18april2010_1.jpg

8809_seramaroo1_byroo1aug25_2010_02.jpg

Quote:
How do you bathe a chicken? What kind of soap do you use, etc?

I use baby shampoo on the chickens. I put them in the tub, scrub gently, rinse and blowdry
big_smile.png

MelissaR- I bet the bald spots on your lil guys neck are from the girls picking at his feathers and eating them. I had that problem often. Usually If you up their protein levels they stop. I went from layer crumbles to gamebird feed with Black oil sunflowers added in for extra protein and give them hard boiled eggs 2-3 times a week.

Last edited:
I see. Are they at peace with the bath and blow dryer, or is it like washing your average cat? Not trying to get mangled lol

They may freak out a bit when you put them in the water initially but they go into a trance like state of total relaxation to the point where you have to keep their head from going under. At least mine do. They seem to enjoy the warm blowdry afterwards, then they head outside where they can find the nearest hole in the yard to roll in the dirt
hmm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom