Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I emailed Ideal, but I apparently have to wait for someone else to get home to fix the feet, I can't keep the toes spread and put the tape on at the same time
1f622.png

Tonight is my first night leaving my chicks outside with their mph. I'm so nervous and scared!! Low tonight is supposed to be 37. They are 3 & 4 weeks old. (10 chicks altogether). I just checked on them and they are all asleep under the pad. Please tell me that they will be ok tonight, even with temps in the upper 30's!?! Here's some pics of the section of the run I blocked off. It's covered with 6mil greenhouse plastic.

My one week olds did just great with temps in the teens. Yours are older and should be feathering pretty nicely by now. So pour yourself a glass of wine and relax. You've done a great job covering your run with plastic and that will protect them from cold winds. Nice work, Ruby! And that is a really terrific outdoor brooder setup!

My one week olds did just great with temps in the teens.  Yours are older and should be feathering pretty nicely by now.  So pour yourself a glass of wine and relax.  You've done a great job covering your run with plastic and that will protect them from cold winds.  Nice work, Ruby!  And that is a really terrific outdoor brooder setup!  

:hugs Thank you so much, Blooie!! I really couldn't imagine having them in the house any longer, as they were starting to stink within 24 hours of cleaning the brooder. I started having them spend the day outside and then just brought them in at night, for about a week, just to get them used to their new surrounding and the cool air. Each night they looked fine when I would go out at dark to get them but I reluctantly brought them in anyway. Then decided that tonight was the night! I just needed you reassurance!

hugs.gif
Thank you so much, Blooie!! I really couldn't imagine having them in the house any longer, as they were starting to stink within 24 hours of cleaning the brooder. I started having them spend the day outside and then just brought them in at night, for about a week, just to get them used to their new surrounding and the cool air. Each night they looked fine when I would go out at dark to get them but I reluctantly brought them in anyway. Then decided that tonight was the night! I just needed you reassurance!
How did they do? Inquiring minds...;..

THEY SHIPPED THEY SHIPPED THEY SHIPPED!!!!!
big_smile.png
Yippee!!

@chicapee posted this on another thread today and I thought it would be nice to put it up here as a bit of "refresher". She had puppy pads left over from, well, her puppy (and Blooie is so good at stating the obvious!) so she used them for the first few days until they went out to the coop. She gave me permission to put this up on the Broody Brigade thread.

0.jpg

How did they do?  Inquiring minds...;..

They did great!! I went out around 10pm and everyone was sound asleep and I could see the orange light on from the sunbeam heating pad through the plastic wrapped run, so I knew it was on. This morning when I went to open the coop, a few were already up and eating and playing and a few were still sleeping. I warmed up some fermented chick starter and brought it out. Now everyone is out and playing. I notice that during the day I never really see them go under the cave at all. Should I lower it down during the day? I'm keeping it on 6 at night. And thank you for asking!

You could probably raise the frame and/or lower the heat. I'd put it down to 3 or 4 and I'll bet they'd be fine. If they start that loud "Doggone it, I'm cold" cheeping and huddling up together just pop it back up to 4 or 5, depending on what you turned it down to. Actually by 4 weeks mine was on 1 for a few days and then off, and they did just fine. So let the chicks call it for you. When I had mine outside it was the time of year that temps outside were gradually going up. This time of year they are going down, so you'll want them acclimated to cold temps pretty soon. Great job!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom