Mama's Flying Penguins and Ramblings

Pics

MysticUniKitty

Crowing
Mar 2, 2019
North Texas,Collin County
HI! :frow
So giving this thread thing a go. I currently have 15 chicks, 4 pullets, and 2 hens....and possibly more coming soon. :jumpy I have been watching the chicks and they kinda look like penguins when doing their chest/sizing up/sparring... so thinking of calling our chicken operation "Mama's Flaying Penguins" :gig
I'm currently working on which breeds, that i have, have the best attitudes, what ages, and what their purpose will be. (breeding, laying, dinner) :caf:confused: We live in Texas, we just bought 6 arces and trying to clean it up for a working farm.
We have converted our 8ft x12ft shed into our Chicken Coop, just finished up a temporary run for our two new hens so they can stretch but not get lost.

Just starting this so that I can share and ramble about the craziness of my chickens without hijacking other's threads.:highfive:
Here are some pics of our flock and set up.
IMG_3039.jpg
Mustard, she loves sitting beside the babies.
IMG_3041.jpg
Cajun, kind unless you're new
IMG_3047.jpg
Babies! Dinner time!
IMG_3071.jpg
The two month old pen, added some plywood so hens wouldn't poo on them. This brooder will come out when I can safely integrate them with Hens.
IMG_3072.jpg
Cajun got in with the babies, she thankfully didn't hurt them! But they hid and were a tad stressed.
IMG_3007.jpg
Front of Coop, two windows on this side. Figuring out lower vents for ventilation.
IMG_3011.jpg
Before the run.
IMG_3085.jpg
Attached Run for Hens. I added a cider block on side for them to get out and they are enjoying it. :love

Feel free to chat, ramble, just share pics.

So this morning the hens decided that the babies area was where they were going to nest. End. Of . Story! :he
Cajun had babies cornered in their area while Mustard was making the nest. :th
To keep this from happening i cut away the top part of fencing so big girls can just flutter over and then cut babies size hole for them so they can escape if needed. They can hide in their corner or they can hide behind the 2 month old pen now too and the hens can't get them. :wee
E72E5A80-9CEE-4211-8E86-AEC58526DC6B.jpeg 5DA940E3-3BAF-4815-9536-10EBC3D95F5A.jpeg
Babies area and Mustard being a meanie.

Today was also the day i could finally go to a Brahma breeder and pick out new babies!!! I have fallen in love with this breed and can't wait to see them all grown!:pop
923E4F8F-7271-462A-968B-AE4685CF741E.jpeg
Pepper
92582BE8-4EA7-4ECF-A50F-8FF5E7B78420.jpeg
Salt
B1CC9861-03BF-407F-A65E-BB742A40D4CC.jpeg
Sandi (sandwhich)
9F295DE8-D1EE-41F4-9D00-E48A33843F9C.jpeg
Toasted
29A6BEFE-939F-4C6A-AACB-2E0BB9E20A4C.jpeg
Molé

:love

I've had chickens since 2008. But the last 4 years, I've been saying no, no more, my health has been an issue and it's not fair I make my daughter do all the work. Then on Thursday, I was gifted an early mother's day gift of 7 assorted 2 week olds from the local feed store. And said daughter volunteering to clean the coop. Now she wants banties, too. I want a Royal Palm Turkey poult...

I've had chickens since 2008. But the last 4 years, I've been saying no, no more, my health has been an issue and it's not fair I make my daughter do all the work. Then on Thursday, I was gifted an early mother's day gift of 7 assorted 2 week olds from the local feed store. And said daughter volunteering to clean the coop. Now she wants banties, too. I want a Royal Palm Turkey poult...

Aww... so much more fun when you can share the fun!!

Today's Ramblings...

Warning tons of cuteness photos! :love:love:love

So this morning I came out to find my two new Blue Buff Brahmas trying to be "mommies" to the tiny brahmas! It seriously melted my heart!
IMG_3173.jpg

We let the Hens out to forage while the babies got to run around frearlessly. I got to watch while i cleaned out super dirty areas. :gig

This afternoon I came in and found Salt being pushed away by everyone, this didn't seem right specially after this morning. Got it out of the corner and looked over. Sure enough, pasty butt! :thSo knew the drill from seeing it happen to others on here. Looked around and had veggie oil so warmed it up a tiny bit and used cotton swaps on it. Also mixed up some vitamin and electrolytes and put a tiny bit in a lid and used a dropper to get a tiny bit in him. (i'm thinking wings look Roo-ish :fl ) He poo'd a bit but still looks very dry so he's sitting in a box beside me so i can watch him like a worried momma hen. :lau
57774566066__AB1CE99B-344D-4B0B-9C1F-E62AF3D266D5.jpg

Fun Pics of Babies..and my future farmer!
IMG_3160.jpg IMG_3164.jpg IMG_3165.jpg IMG_3170.jpg IMG_3174.jpg IMG_3177.jpg IMG_3186.jpg IMG_3187.jpg IMG_3188.jpg

Back
Top Bottom