Man Fighter??

Get a large fish net, the kind for scooping fish into the boat with 3-4 foot handle. Drop it over the top of him when you go in the coop, do your chores, and take it off as you are leaving. That will keep him from attacking you. And in my experience, in a few minutes they do calm down, when they can't get away from the net. This will not cure the problem behavior.

What you do is your own decision, but I think that you are hoping that he will become the sweetheart, cuddling with you again. That will not happen. Juvenile animals are submissive in a flock. It keeps them alive. If they forget, older birds give them a thump. Once however, a bird becomes mature, he will fight for the top position in the flock, and he will fight to keep it. There is no going back. The best you can hope for is to come up with a strategy such as the net, to control him and protect yourself and any others that might be near the flock. Even with extensive training, it is continuous training, and never done. The rooster will constantly watch for an opportunity to get you or someone else.

There is a reasonable amount of documentation on this forum, that cuddling with a juvenile rooster, cause the rooster to lose all fear of humans, and later makes them bold enough to attack humans. It seems counter intuitive, as in with cats and dogs, if you are nice to the puppy or kitten, they are almost always good to you. In the flock, being nice is considered a submissive position, and being aggressive is higher on the pecking order. You might consider this if you do get another rooster.

Personally, I want my roosters to be aware of where I am and move away to keep space between me and them. It has worked well for me. However, I have had roosters that I culled because they became too aggressive. I did not want to risk a serious attack.

Mrs K

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. His behavior isn't interfering with the care of the rest of the flock, but is more of an annoyance, nor am i going to hatch eggs. Despite his aggressive demeanor, I would feel guilty butchering the once-docile roo. I notice you mentioned, "[COLOR=333333]If you are insistent on taming him then you are going to have to invest quite a lot of time," I would be happy investing time in taming him, do you know of a particular technique?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Thanks for the replies by the way[/COLOR]

Buster, I have working experience with games have management technique that controls if not eliminates the tendency even when you have one that gets into habit.

Games are in many ways different than ornamental and production breeds most have experience with. Those differences are very relevant with respect to this issue.

Last edited:
Since you're pretty clear that you don't want to cull this aggressive rooster, I'm just wondering. Do you have small kids around? Kids, grandkids, neighbor kids, nieces, nephews? Other visitors? If so you might want to look at your homeowner's insurance. It's just a matter of time until he nails one of them. Even if you successfully "reprogram" him to tolerate you, you have no guarantees that he will not challenge a different person, and if that someone is a child.........

Since you're pretty clear that you don't want to cull this aggressive rooster, I'm just wondering. Do you have small kids around? Kids, grandkids, neighbor kids, nieces, nephews? Other visitors? If so you might want to look at your homeowner's insurance. It's just a matter of time until he nails one of them. Even if you successfully "reprogram" him to tolerate you, you have no guarantees that he will not challenge a different person, and if that someone is a child.........

Yes I agree if he were to get out and into someone else's yard and they would try to catch him he could hurt them bad!

Will be sharing with OP if he is interested. I done and written about this many times to no avail as others with more typing but less actual hands on experience swamp out sound advice on proper psychology and management of roosters / cocks / cockerels / bullstags / stags / juveniles / chicks (all terms very important but very consistently ignored)

Back
Top Bottom