Man Fighter??

Busterchicken

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
My English Game Cock wont stop attacking anything that enters the run. Nothing I have tried has stopped him
he.gif
. He is the reason we put our chickens in a run in the first place. Is there any way i can tame him down/ dominate him (if that would work)? He makes interacting and properly caring for the hens really hard. Doing maintinence in the coop and looking behind your back while wielding a broom is really annoying.
barnie.gif
Please help!!!

No there no other way than killing or giving away. The sole reason Games were created is to produce birds that will not, never will back down from a fight.As part of the breeding, birds that quit and ran from a fight were killed.

He has decided humans are something to fight. He's a Game. See above.

Not all Games are man fighters. Some are naturally inclined to, others are not but can be deliberately or accidentally trained to by improper handling or teasing. It can take just one person having a laugh, goading the rooster with the foot to turn on the switch against all people.

He will be forever a pain. Some methods will only temporarily stop him only for him to start up again a few months later.

p.s. really do not recommend giving or selling. Too high of a risk of him either being used in fighting or going to a place where he could hurt someone- a kid.

Get a large fish net, the kind for scooping fish into the boat with 3-4 foot handle. Drop it over the top of him when you go in the coop, do your chores, and take it off as you are leaving. That will keep him from attacking you. And in my experience, in a few minutes they do calm down, when they can't get away from the net. This will not cure the problem behavior.

What you do is your own decision, but I think that you are hoping that he will become the sweetheart, cuddling with you again. That will not happen. Juvenile animals are submissive in a flock. It keeps them alive. If they forget, older birds give them a thump. Once however, a bird becomes mature, he will fight for the top position in the flock, and he will fight to keep it. There is no going back. The best you can hope for is to come up with a strategy such as the net, to control him and protect yourself and any others that might be near the flock. Even with extensive training, it is continuous training, and never done. The rooster will constantly watch for an opportunity to get you or someone else.

There is a reasonable amount of documentation on this forum, that cuddling with a juvenile rooster, cause the rooster to lose all fear of humans, and later makes them bold enough to attack humans. It seems counter intuitive, as in with cats and dogs, if you are nice to the puppy or kitten, they are almost always good to you. In the flock, being nice is considered a submissive position, and being aggressive is higher on the pecking order. You might consider this if you do get another rooster.

Personally, I want my roosters to be aware of where I am and move away to keep space between me and them. It has worked well for me. However, I have had roosters that I culled because they became too aggressive. I did not want to risk a serious attack.

Mrs K

Last edited:
OP, I would like to suggest that you PM centrarchid if you haven't already done so and see what help you can get there. I'm not at all familiar with games, but have read many of centrarchid's posts to be comfortable in referring you there.

Awwww, c'mon guys, he's not that bad, i am not gonna kill him, that's mean. Just tell me if there is a way i can calm him down. When he was younger (just before his fancy tail feathers) he would always cuddle in my lap and take a nap, and then one day while i was holding him, he pecked me aggressively, and it just went down hill. I think i once say a guy on youtube who tames his games by holding them with with weilding gloves on a daily basis an sitting in a room with aromatic sprays and they would eventually come to peace with him.

The moral of my replay- Is there any other way to tame him other than killing? And if you don't know one, don't replay, "kill him" or any variation of that phrase. Good history tho

Last edited:
No there no other way than killing or giving away. The sole reason Games were created is to produce birds that will not, never will back down from a fight.As part of the breeding, birds that quit and ran from a fight were killed.

He has decided humans are something to fight. He's a Game. See above.

Not all Games are man fighters. Some are naturally inclined to, others are not but can be deliberately or accidentally trained to by improper handling or teasing. It can take just one person having a laugh, goading the rooster with the foot to turn on the switch against all people.

He will be forever a pain. Some methods will only temporarily stop him only for him to start up again a few months later.

p.s. really do not recommend giving or selling. Too high of a risk of him either being used in fighting or going to a place where he could hurt someone- a kid.
Why will he forever be in pain?

Back
Top Bottom