Man, this guy makes me sooo mad…

Quote:
You know, dogs are dumped on the side of the road when their owners no longer want them. That, I certainly find abhorrent. Chickens are dumped in parks or in the woods, etc, when people decide they're done caring for them. Either situation calls for the owner to rehome the animal rather than starve or dump it and at least, this guy is doing that, whether or not he should have admitted to the world the reason. As long as the animal is healthy, the reason isn't really relevant anyway.

To the OP, no, I don't understand how someone can't bond with their birds, but then, many folks on BYC do not understand how I can, so....
hu.gif
Everyone is different.

I just think that putting your animals on craigslist could have the same result as dumping them on the side of the road, in parks or in the woods. You have no control over their destinies at all. It isn't rehoming, it's getting rid of.

Quote:
You know, dogs are dumped on the side of the road when their owners no longer want them. That, I certainly find abhorrent. Chickens are dumped in parks or in the woods, etc, when people decide they're done caring for them. Either situation calls for the owner to rehome the animal rather than starve or dump it and at least, this guy is doing that, whether or not he should have admitted to the world the reason. As long as the animal is healthy, the reason isn't really relevant anyway.

To the OP, no, I don't understand how someone can't bond with their birds, but then, many folks on BYC do not understand how I can, so....
hu.gif
Everyone is different.

I just think that putting your animals on craigslist could have the same result as dumping them on the side of the road, in parks or in the woods. You have no control over their destinies at all. It isn't rehoming, it's getting rid of.

I hear what you're saying, but I adopted two VERY STARVED crested geckos from craigslist and they are now living the best life ever with me. There are good people out there
smile.png

Had the person put them up for adoption sooner - they wouldn't have come to me in the condition they were in.

Quote:

hu.gif
Everyone is different.

They have a much better chance at finding good homes then if they are dumped

Quote:

I hear what you're saying, but I adopted two VERY STARVED crested geckos from craigslist and they are now living the best life ever with me. There are good people out there
smile.png

Had the person put them up for adoption sooner - they wouldn't have come to me in the condition they were in.

I figured that would be the next post but for the person who puts their animals on craigslist it's only good luck for the animals if they end up in a caring home.

You have no control over their destinies at all. It isn't rehoming, it's getting rid of.

Same can be said no matter who you rehome/sell them to, though. You can't go to their new home with them 99% of the time. Craigslist isn't any worse than most newspaper ads you run to sell an animal. You're selling/rehoming to a stranger and have no control once that animal leaves your home. If you think you do, you're fooling yourself, unless you know the person very well and have seen where the animal is going.​

Quote:
Same can be said no matter who you rehome/sell them to, though. You can't go to their new home with them 99% of the time. Craigslist isn't any worse than most newspaper ads you run to sell an animal. You're selling/rehoming to a stranger and have no control once that animal leaves your home. If you think you do, you're fooling yourself, unless you know the person very well and have seen where the animal is going.

x2. I think it's really unfair to say that using Craig's List isn't rehoming. Plenty of good people have rehomed plenty of good animals with other good people through CL. It's as Speckledhen said, not different than a newspaper. So now we're all required to re-home with close friends only? I don't even have any friends who keep chickens. Fortunately I've never wanted to part with any, but I don't think there's anything irresponsible about placing an ad on CL any more than any other source.

I catch hell about my CL ads when I re-home dogs. I see no point in going in to detail about there history on a ad. X breed an my contact info is enough...

Re-homed 5 Min Pins this week. Those were gone in 2 hours so for once the ad didnt have time to get flagged off. People assume the worst if you re-home anything. The fact that they were rescued an fead chicken dinner for 6 months to get them healthy an ready for homes would not even be believed if you told them in the ad.

Quote:
Same can be said no matter who you rehome/sell them to, though. You can't go to their new home with them 99% of the time. Craigslist isn't any worse than most newspaper ads you run to sell an animal. You're selling/rehoming to a stranger and have no control once that animal leaves your home. If you think you do, you're fooling yourself, unless you know the person very well and have seen where the animal is going.

x2. I think it's really unfair to say that using Craig's List isn't rehoming. Plenty of good people have rehomed plenty of good animals with other good people through CL. It's as Speckledhen said, not different than a newspaper. So now we're all required to re-home with close friends only? I don't even have any friends who keep chickens. Fortunately I've never wanted to part with any, but I don't think there's anything irresponsible about placing an ad on CL any more than any other source.

I don't know to whom I'm being unfair. My opinion is as valid to me as yours is to you. I personally have no knowledge of anyone who has gotten rid of their animals through a craigslist ad or newspaper ad that truly knows what happened to their animal. I got my dog from the newspaper but the fellow I got him from has never contacted me so he doesn't know what happened to him. I'm pretty sure the guy advertising the chickens he didn't care to keep won't follow up with the new owner. And yes my values tell me that if for some reason, I need to get rid of an animal for whom I assumed the responsibility, I still have the responsibility to ensure it goes somewhere where it will be treated properly, even if that means humane butchering, in the case of a livestock animal. These values have evolved over time, as they tend to do but that is exactly how I feel. I don't think I'm unfair in the least. We disagree is all.

And yes my values tell me that if for some reason, I need to get rid of an animal for whom I assumed the responsibility, I still have the responsibility to ensure it goes somewhere where it will be treated properly, even if that means humane butchering, in the case of a livestock animal.

Are you saying that killing is better than trying to find new homes?​

Quote:

I don't know to whom I'm being unfair. My opinion is as valid to me as yours is to you. I personally have no knowledge of anyone who has gotten rid of their animals through a craigslist ad or newspaper ad that truly knows what happened to their animal. I got my dog from the newspaper but the fellow I got him from has never contacted me so he doesn't know what happened to him. I'm pretty sure the guy advertising the chickens he didn't care to keep won't follow up with the new owner. And yes my values tell me that if for some reason, I need to get rid of an animal for whom I assumed the responsibility, I still have the responsibility to ensure it goes somewhere where it will be treated properly, even if that means humane butchering, in the case of a livestock animal. These values have evolved over time, as they tend to do but that is exactly how I feel. I don't think I'm unfair in the least. We disagree is all.

Regarding the parts I put in bold: I believe it's unfair to those that do use CL in a responsible manner. When one of my neighbors' wife died last year, he rehomed her precious parakeet on CL because he is old and knows nothing about bird care. I remember him talking about all the "interviews" he was doing and wanting badly to choose the new home that his wife would have chosen. We are in a remote area, so that's a lot of effort, having people drive way out here to interview them repeatedly trying to make the best choice. So that is rehoming, not "getting rid of". But I in no way meant to imply that your opinion isn't "valid", of course it is. All of ours are. And as for your last sentence, yes, we simply disagree. That's okay.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom