Maran chicken comb - disease?

aribubbs

Chirping
Jul 11, 2023
Hello!

I’m a new chicken mum this year and we have a small backyard flock of 9 chickens, aged 3-5 months roughly (Maran, Lavender Orpington & Silkie’s).

Our black Maran girls seem to have something going on with their combs but I can’t figure out what it is. They seem healthy and happy otherwise (eyes are closed as they’re loving a good dust bath here). I’d appreciate any views on whether this is normal, due to molt, disease or otherwise. They are eating and drinking normally and kept in a good space with plenty of time free ranging also. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7681.jpeg
    IMG_7681.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7679.jpeg
    IMG_7679.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7678.jpeg
    IMG_7678.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for replying! Yes. Breathing normally and it’s more than one chicken (3, all black/ blue Maran’s showing this). They started out with black combs and so I’m wondering if it’s just the combs changing colour and me not realising? They seem perfectly happy otherwise!

The white powfery stuff almost looks like favus (a fungus infection) to me which would be treated by using miconazole cream or similar at least twice a day for about 7 consecutive days.

Or did you just add some wood ashes or diatomaeceous earth to their dust bath?

Like when they were chicks? That could be if they seem completely normal and it is all three of them. I hope a maran expert comes along, I can't think of one to tag.
They were hatched
Like when they were chicks? That could be if they seem completely normal and it is all three of them. I hope a maran expert comes along, I can't think of one to tag.
The white powfery stuff almost looks like favus (a fungus infection) to me which would be treated by using miconazole cream or similar at least twice a day for about 7 consecutive days.

Or did you just add some wood ashes or diatomaeceous earth to their dust bath?
They were hatched 17th March so 4 months old now. I do add DE to their dust bath but not enough to result in this I think! Thanks - I’ll have a little look at favus and see if I can find a natural alternative just in case it is nothing!

It also may just be dryness, sometimes they get that way. A bit of coconut oil applied can help that if you want to, but if it's just dryness it's usually not an issue. Neither that or the miconazole will do any harm to try.

Thank you. I’m going to mix coconut oil with a very mild dose of tea tree and oregano. Will post back in a week or so! Thanks for replying!

Be careful with the tea tree oil, the aroma can be irritating to their respiratory system, and too strong it can be irritating. I know you said mild dose, just be cautious with that one.

Back
Top Bottom