Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Good morning!

It didn't freeze last night, but did get down to 36* here. May freeze tonight.

Vicki ~ Congrats on the 75! Hope you have a great hatch!!
D.gif
My head would be spinning if I ever hatched that many!

Good morning!

It didn't freeze last night, but did get down to 36* here. May freeze tonight.

Vicki ~ Congrats on the 75! Hope you have a great hatch!!
D.gif
My head would be spinning if I ever hatched that many!
morning Debbi! It definitely froze here...still not above freezing yet, but hoping when i come back from work and go work in the garden, that the plants I covered will be alright!

I'm already starting to hear teensy cheeps here and there from that hatcher. Haven't seen any rocking eggs yet, but should by tonight or tomorrow morning I think since my hatches always start early....Come on babies! I want to meet you all!
clap.gif

Good deal on the peeps! I would be crazy if I had to go to work with a hatch starting! Of course, it would probably lessen the mileage I put on my feet when mine are hatching. I thought it would slow me down putting the bators in the far end of the house. Nah, I just walk more!
gig.gif
Good excercise, but it sure doesn't make them hatch any quicker, or in my case, better...

Good deal on the peeps! I would be crazy if I had to go to work with a hatch starting! Of course, it would probably lessen the mileage I put on my feet when mine are hatching. I thought it would slow me down putting the bators in the far end of the house. Nah, I just walk more!
gig.gif
Good excercise, but it sure doesn't make them hatch any quicker, or in my case, better...

haha too funny! I kind of am glad that I work for a bit today and tomorrow...it helps me to get away from the hatcher for a while so I don't obsess so much. The real hatch date is friday, but I'm guessing I'll start seein chicks sometime thursday. So, I'll be home for the fun day....when I get to finally take them out hopefully!

Thought I would post some current pictures of my two prize girls (to me, at any rate) ... at 20 weeks ... I couldn't be more thrilled. They are over-melanized at this point but beyond that, I think they're perfect!

There are two of them and I still can't tell them apart unless I study their toes ....
idunno.gif
(one has short outside toes .... )

They are lovely!!!!!
clap.gif

Good luck with your hatch Vicki!

Question~ Does anyone else notice that their chooks are great hunters?

Everyday for the last 5 days I have found poofs of Robin feathers in random spots near or in the Marans fenced area.

Last year I watched Gnarles snatch one right out of the air and then everybody had a feeding frenzy...but that the last time I actually saw it happen. Now I am just finding the left overs. I knew they would eat pretty much anything but I didn't know they would make a daily sport of it.

Everyday for the last 5 days I have found poofs of Robin feathers in random spots near or in the Marans fenced area.

Last year I watched Gnarles snatch one right out of the air and then everybody had a feeding frenzy...but that the last time I actually saw it happen. Now I am just finding the left overs. I knew they would eat pretty much anything but I didn't know they would make a daily sport of it.

Ours do not like the little birds in their run areas and will chase them out but we have never seen them actually take one out!

gig.gif
I agree with you! I have eggs(not Marans this time) hatching today or tomorrow and I am at work so I set up a hatch cam
hide.gif

Ron

You need to feed them once in a while
lau.gif

I agree with you! I have eggs(not Marans this time) hatching today or tomorrow and I am at work so I set up a hatch cam
hide.gif

Ron

I don't know if that would be good or bad? If I saw one in trouble, I might've had to beg off as sick for the rest of the day!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom