Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

just picked up some cuckoo marans chicks at 1 day old....are all marans feather legged? cause these guys show no signs of it unless they come in later...seems like i read somewhere that BCM's have leg feathering.....could be wrong, lemme know.

thanks!!

Oh, so now Florida has all the crappy birds? I've got plenty from the West Coast, Midwest and everywhere else advertised as pure Marans that certainly weren't....

Nah we have the best ones here, and we can hatch them all year round :).......
cool.png

Oh, so now Florida has all the crappy birds? I've got plenty from the West Coast, Midwest and everywhere else advertised as pure Marans that certainly weren't....
I looked back at my post and see nothing about Florida having all the junk Marans. I know you no what I was referring to. best of luck to all

Last edited:
I need some help from Marans experts. I have one Cuckoo that I am beginning to worry might be a roo. It is the biggest of the three chick and feathered the fastest (the others are a Buff Brahma and Partridge Rock). I have scoured the web looking at pictures and felt ok until some red started to appear in its wattles and I noticed some more prominent white feathers. Thanks so much, sorry to barge in with a silly question.

Vicki, They look real nice to me with the white where it is supposed to be. I also see no brown either. Look to be some large Marans in the making.
Thats great! I certainly am happy with what I'm seeing from my own breeding pens. No brown, or other odd coloring. Only a few clean legged, but those are out of matings where I expected it because there are a few I'm working on getting more or getting any at all, like on the solid girls I have.

I need some help from Marans experts. I have one Cuckoo that I am beginning to worry might be a roo. It is the biggest of the three chick and feathered the fastest (the others are a Buff Brahma and Partridge Rock). I have scoured the web looking at pictures and felt ok until some red started to appear in its wattles and I noticed some more prominent white feathers. Thanks so much, sorry to barge in with a silly question.

that looks like little Roo to me. I'm fearing the same thing here with 2 of my BCM babies...time will tell. Maybe the babies will look better than the daddies now, then I'll have to make some changes...

Hen, the color is dark for a boy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom