Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I'm seeing possible Roos the second one you can see the different coloring in the wings starting
sad.png
Sorry, I could be wrong
bow.gif
Don't hens also have coloring on their back/necks?

Hey all!

Guess what I have zipping and pipping in my incubator? Eggs from Lisa Olson!
This is my 4th try at getting some good marans to start with here in Hawaii.
Last year I was advised to try to get eggs from Lisa Olson and after all this time I finally got eggs from her and they are hatching! So excited!

I saw some pictures of Lisa Olson's stock and they are beautiful. Does anybody know where she got her start from?

Don't hens also have coloring on their back/necks?
I am seeing cockerals as well. The pullets should not have colour on their backs or anywhere but around their necks. Some that are "mossy" which is incorrect colouring will. The colour around the necks usually isn't showing yet by the age of your guys. Some pullets stay black with no copper around the neck but are still Black Copper Marans if they came from a Black Copper Marans pair.

im just getting started raising marans, i got some eggs from a local breeder off some of his show birds and they were from diff. breeds but all marans, i mostly got white marans and black copper, but these 2 came out and i dont have know clue what breed they are so i was hopeing someone on here can help me, the top one was hatched on march 15 and the bottom was hatched on feb. 16 and they are both clean legged, thanx any help is appreciated

im just getting started raising marans, i got some eggs from a local breeder off some of his show birds and they were from diff. breeds but all marans, i mostly got white marans and black copper, but these 2 came out and i dont have know clue what breed they are so i was hopeing someone on here can help me, the top one was hatched on march 15 and the bottom was hatched on feb. 16 and they are both clean legged, thanx any help is appreciated
correction the one on the bottom does have feathers on her legs, i didnt notice at first, shes been picking them out for some reason

I recently got some black tailed buff Marans and some Penedesenca chicks. They are a few weeks old, about half feathered out. Unfortunately the breeder didn't band them and boxed them all together. This is my first experience with either breed and now I'm having trouble telling the two breeds apart.

Does anyone have pictures of black tailed buff Marans or Penedesenca chicks that are a month or two old that I can compare to my chicks?
I will try to get pictures of them posted for you all to see.

I recently got some black tailed buff Marans and some Penedesenca chicks. They are a few weeks old, about half feathered out. Unfortunately the breeder didn't band them and boxed them all together. This is my first experience with either breed and now I'm having trouble telling the two breeds apart.

Does anyone have pictures of black tailed buff Marans or Penedesenca chicks that are a month or two old that I can compare to my chicks?
I'm Pretty sure that ronott (BYC name) Has a lot of pictures of the Penedesenca

Ask on the northern California thread a lot of people have them around here ( Penedesenca)

Can someone answer a question for me please. I bought some Wheaton Marans eggs and hatched a single chick on nyd, well she is growing up and has white earlobes, did I get ripped off?

Back
Top Bottom