Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

HighNDry, a Wry tail is a DQ too. So, if you see that tail off to the side when he is in a natural position, you won't want to breed him either.
I am wondering at what age do you tend to see wry tail show up? I have a boy that I really really like but at around 6-7 months, eek went the tail. I noticed him walking funny, kind of stiff legged. I thought perhaps he had hurt a leg sparring with the other boys or something. Then I realized he had a bumble foot. I'm still treating the foot, cannot seem to get it to head up or find any kind of white core. I was working atrocious hours and for awhile I was only getting to doctor it a couple times a week. things are getting better so now I've been able to soak and clean it about every other day; doesn't look any different yet, so we'll see.

Any way the reason I bring this up is because I am wondering if in this case the wry tail is more a way of balancing himself with the sore foot. There is a lot of time that he stands still and his tail is straight, but it's always pulled to the side when he walks.

I guess I will have to wait until I can get the foot cleared up and see if the tail straightens out too.....

I do have an EE girl with wry tail, but hers began to be real noticeable at around 3 months and is very bad, nearly a 90 degree angle, all the time. SAd, she lays a huge pure blue egg....

The wry tail can show up anytime they have the hard feathers. Usually around 3-4 months. If you absolutely had to you could breed a bird like this one year and then discard and only keep the very best young.

Thank you Don. This is the heaviest boy I have and I like his body type the best, he has good leg feathering and the best comb out of 4 boys. I really want to have his size in the next generation, especially as most of my pullets are running on the small side. Does anyone know the odds of having the wry tail show up in the next generation?

Hi - I have just acquired my first ever chickens, and most of them are Copper Marans. Lovely birds!!! But now my rooster seems to have very red legs where his leg feathers are growing in. I am wondering if they are irritated by the new feathers or there is something else going on. I don't think it is scaly leg mites - the scales are not raised like the photos I have seen. He was recently treated with Frontline and their coop is brand new (no history of nasty critters). Here are some photos:

I would sure appreciate some advice on this - he is a lovely boy and they look so sore.

On a steep learning curve with my new birds!
Kathryn

I am wondering at what age do you tend to see wry tail show up? I have a boy that I really really like but at around 6-7 months, eek went the tail. I noticed him walking funny, kind of stiff legged. I thought perhaps he had hurt a leg sparring with the other boys or something. Then I realized he had a bumble foot. I'm still treating the foot, cannot seem to get it to head up or find any kind of white core. I was working atrocious hours and for awhile I was only getting to doctor it a couple times a week. things are getting better so now I've been able to soak and clean it about every other day; doesn't look any different yet, so we'll see.

Any way the reason I bring this up is because I am wondering if in this case the wry tail is more a way of balancing himself with the sore foot. There is a lot of time that he stands still and his tail is straight, but it's  always pulled to the side when he walks.

I guess I will have to wait until I can get the foot cleared up and see if the tail straightens out too.....

I do have an EE girl with wry tail, but hers began to be real noticeable at around 3 months and is very bad, nearly a 90 degree angle, all the time. SAd, she lays a huge pure blue egg....

I hsve a Barnie in my layer flock that started showing a wry tail at about 16 weeks.... Just for reference...
1f60a.png

Hi - I have just acquired my first ever chickens, and most of them are Copper Marans. Lovely birds!!! But now my rooster seems to have very red legs where his leg feathers are growing in. I am wondering if they are irritated by the new feathers or there is something else going on. I don't think it is scaly leg mites - the scales are not raised like the photos I have seen. He was recently treated with Frontline and their coop is brand new (no history of nasty critters). Here are some photos: I would sure appreciate some advice on this - he is a lovely boy and they look so sore. On a steep learning curve with my new birds! Kathryn
I'm not sure what's going on - but I sure am interested to read someone's post who does! I am very curious

Hi - I have just acquired my first ever chickens, and most of them are Copper Marans. Lovely birds!!! But now my rooster seems to have very red legs where his leg feathers are growing in. I am wondering if they are irritated by the new feathers or there is something else going on. I don't think it is scaly leg mites - the scales are not raised like the photos I have seen. He was recently treated with Frontline and their coop is brand new (no history of nasty critters). Here are some photos: I would sure appreciate some advice on this - he is a lovely boy and they look so sore. On a steep learning curve with my new birds! Kathryn
I'm not sure what's going on - but I sure am interested to read someone's post who does! I am very curious
I am not sure anyone knows what is going on. seems to happen to some roos....hormones maybe. I think Wynette had a roo with it. mine have had some pinkness but not that red.

Last edited:
Marans, both male and female will have vermillion colored reticulate scales down the outside of the shank below the shank feathering. Hoping it is just what color his reticulate scales should be. That said....I agree with DMRippy.....they are pretty dang red. Is he picking at his legs or toes where the feathers are? I would just watch him for a few days to see if he might be agitating himself or if it is just his normal coloring. It has been said that Marans with nice vermillion reticulates often carry very good egg color genetics. :)

Last edited:
Can/will someone tell me what's going on with my pullets' tail feathers pretty please?
They almost make a dot on the end

Back
Top Bottom