Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I'm not too concerned with tat. I knew that they were from a mixed Marans flock. They'll add some color to my group
smile.png

They are Culls and you are Happy? I am with Donna! I would be disappointed also.

Dan

They are Culls and you are Happy? I am with Donna! I would be disappointed also.

Dan

too each his own. I'm not a professional breeder. I breed them for me. Heck, I may stop with the others and only keep the wheatens. My birds, my flock. I appreciate your opinions on it but I didn't think everyone would just throw me down. I'm happy about them.

Last edited:
too each his own. I'm not a professional breeder. I breed them for me. Heck, I may stop with the others and only keep the wheatens. My birds, my flock. I appreciate your opinions on it but I didn't think everyone would just throw me down. I'm happy about them.
I'm with you! I'm not a breeder, so I don't really care what crazy genetics come out of my chickens.

Isn't there a Mutt thread some where?

Dan

excuse me? Last I checked, this was a Marans thread. Nowhere does it say, BCM snobs only. At least not where I can see. If the mother is a Marans, and the father is a Marans, guess what, the babies are Marans! Who gives you the right to call them mutts? Where did the different varieties of Marans come from in the first place? And how were they improved? Weren't they all "mutts" in the first place then? So if you need a red Siberian husky with a silver one, the pups are all mutts? Same viewpoint here. I'm not one to get all fired up but that comment really made me mad. I've always enjoyed this thread but I won't be spending any time here if this is how it's going to be.

excuse me? Last I checked, this was a Marans thread. Nowhere does it say, BCM snobs only. At least not where I can see. If the mother is a Marans, and the father is a Marans, guess what, the babies are Marans! Who gives you the right to call them mutts? Where did the different varieties of Marans come from in the first place? And how were they improved? Weren't they all "mutts" in the first place then? So if you need a red Siberian husky with a silver one, the pups are all mutts? Same viewpoint here. I'm not one to get all fired up but that comment really made me mad. I've always enjoyed this thread but I won't be spending any time here if this is how it's going to be.

Glad you are a calm and reserved person. LOL!

Dan

Folks, the previous thread was closed due to the bickering that broke out in the last few days. It will remain closed on the forum for our future reference.

This is our second chance - let's ALL work together to make sure this one doesn't end up spiraling downward.

Please remember that there is ALWAYS (did I say ALWAYS) a way to get your point across without being rude, inconsiderate, and/or arrogant. There, I've said it. We all know this breed is fairly new to the U.S. and that until the proposed standard is approved, there will be varying opinions, which is welcomed. Please just put a few seconds of thought in before you his the post button.

I want to add one last additional note - there's not a thing wrong with folks just wanting some pretty birds that lay a gorgeous egg - let's remember that, and not jump all over peeps who just want to learn about this breed & have pretty eggs in their egg baskets. Breeding for show is not for everyone, and it certainly shouldn't be pushed onto someone that's not interested in it.

Okay, post away!!!
big_smile.png

This thread is for Marans discussions period. Not just for Breeder/show quality only. It is obvious that we who do breed, what ever breed it may be, enjoy the specific aspect of preserving breeds and also breeding to the SOP but not everyone does and that is OK. Pretty birds that lay pretty eggs may be just perfect for some people and that should be respected just like we who breed to SOP like to be respected for our points of views. Type respectively to each other. We are here to learn, to educate and to have fun.

wheaten Marans are very pretty ! I wonder what your egg color will be like, coming from BCM's. Keep us updated!

I don't know. I'm actually hoping darker. My BCM hen honestly doesn't lay very dark eggs so I'm hoping my roo carries genes for a darker egg. I'll find out this spring :). I'm actually working on a couple mixes for a pretty egg. My one hen (brahma/marans cross) lays a beautiful, dark, speckled egg. If my roo carries a dark egg color gene, maybe I can get really amazing eggs. That's all I really wanted, a gorgeous veriety of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom