Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I would like some comments on my cockerel he is 4 months old so still young. I don't know much about the breed so I would like to know good and bad qualities please

Hey guys hopefully you guys can help with my question .. My splash marans lay nice dark eggs .so I incubated some and hatched out many,will those chicks lay darker eggs or the same as there parents ? Thank you

Hey guys hopefully you guys can help with my question .. My splash marans lay nice dark eggs .so I incubated some and hatched out many,will those chicks lay darker eggs or the same as there parents ? Thank you

This is my experience I keep the roo from the darkest egg's I hatch as I was reading some where that a roo gives 14 of his genes to the egg and the hen gives 7 genes for the egg color . And this is how I go and it seems to work for me ..

Gander007

Do you think the chicks will lay darker or the same as there parents?
I have another question why did some chicks come out mostly blue and some almost a fully white with some black speckles ? There parents where splash thanks

Gander007

Do you think the chicks will lay darker or the same as there parents?
I have another question why did some chicks come out mostly blue and some almost a fully white with some black speckles ? There parents where splash thanks

I have been working with the Marans for 4 years so really not all that long of a time but I have found that the chickens generally produce the same color as the Parents did or a bit lighter it takes some work to get a darker egg so I have found that breeders either breed for egg color or chicken to standard not both .

Here look at this photo

The hen in the back ground was the incubator but the chicks came from the same roo and two different hens and if you notice one of the roo chicks is white well later he turned out to be blond and white but yet he is still a BCM but instead of being black he is blond ya a little joke but I could not help myself and as I have been told the white feathers are dna showing them selves so if you are trying to use them for show you need to go to a breeder who win's ribbons at Poultry Show's or Fair's but for back yard chickens it is alright as you will still get dark eggs and that is probably what you are going for correct, here is the name of a really good but a bit pricy [email protected] David Fitzgerald from the mid west area and he produces some great birds but only ships hatches eggs no live chicks but Dale at loveless show birds or the mad hatcher sells live chicks but his birds are show birds not so much a darker egg but his chicks are to standard ..

I hope I answered some of your questions .

Back
Top Bottom