Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
FYI. Cornish bubble from their eyes on occasion and it is not necessarily an indication that they are sick. Hunched over with their eyes shut is not a good sign though.

Walt

WoW! That's crazy Walt......thanks for sharing that, I for one had no idea. Why does this happen? Are Cornish the only breed that this happens with? Does it have something to do with their size?

They are the only breed that do that. LF and bantams can do it. I think it is because of the short beak and head structure. Now that is just from the eyes. If you see bubbles from the nostril or mouth, it is a sick bird.

Walt

Hi gang,

I have been missing in action....trip out to Colorado to surprise eldest son, who teaches school and coaches girls basketball out there. We had never seen him coachand this was his 4th season. We usually visit in summer or fall. So wife thought we would surprise him and show up at one of his games. It worked well. Anyways, I have not been on here in last week and before that had computer issues, so it has really been a couple of weeks since I have been able to write or read any posts.

My other two sons who live close to us, took care of chickens and dogs while we were gone. I am completly out of the loop. But hope to catch up with what is going on in next few days.

I did have a PM from a friend about the good news from Newnan!
yippiechickie.gif
thumbsup.gif
That is sooooooo cool.... A big thanks to all that showed their birds at that show.
bow.gif

Nowthat I am home, I can get back to my BCM's and my friends....

Keep smiling!

Dave

Quote:
The head structure of Cornish can cause this bubbling. I am a California Poultry health Inspector and this is specifically mentioned in our training. I have also raised a lot of Cornish, so I am aware of it from personal experience. Out here we inspect birds before they go into a show at ALL fairs etc. At the big open shows I walk around and do a visual inspection of the caged birds. It would take forever to inspect 1000+ birds outside. Anyone seeing a sick bird should report it immediatly to the show management and demand that it be removed. The show management should than remove all the birds in that location and move them to a new location.....hopefully very far away from the show in some type of isolation until the owners can remove them. The exposed area should then be sprayed with Oxine or some other kind of disinfectant.

Here in CA there has NEVER been a reportable incident of a sick bird infecting another bird at any show. NPIP is not mandatory either.

Walt

Thanks for explaining that Walt. I appreciate it. I wondered if it had something to do with the skull structure. So sort of like a Himalayian cat (sp? sorry) or a Pug dog can have issues.
This is great news about California and no sick birds at any shows........You folks have it goin' on!!!! Congrats to California for taking extra special efforts for overall health! Very admirable.
clap.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Dave! Welcome Back! Glad you had a good time and made it home safe and sound!
frow.gif

edited to add: Yes very exciting about Newnan! Everyone who had a hand in Marans in anyway there, ALL DID EXCELLENT JOBS! Bravo to them all!

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining all that Walt. See we are learning so much here lol. I hope they were just thier normal bubbles although my gut tells me different but I am not familiar with that breed at all which why I was kinda questioning myself, "Is this normal?" even dh who was with me, really thought they looked ill.

I know the Newnan show birds had to be NPIP before the show. I don't know about the 'for sale birds'. I purposely didn't bring any birds or eggs to sell, although I could have, because I didn't want to sell anything before becoming NPIP, which I plan to do this spring.

I need to get some of that Oxine. I think I will still enter birds to show even though there are risks. I will be more aware now and check out all the other birds around mine though and do what preventative measures I need to do including, probably, quarantining my 'show bird/s' from the rest of my flock for a period of time once I get back home.

Quote:
Cheryl~ I don't know about Wheatens but I would think that within about the next month or so you should be seeing some changes. I notice their eyes start to change at about 4 mos. of age. Note: The ones with darker eyes I have noticed are never the ones that have the greenish looking eyes and I have also noticed that the ones with the greenish colored eyes are usually the ones that have more correct eye color when they do change.

Back
Top Bottom