Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
x2
droolin.gif
love.gif

The Columbians are really cool looking. Wouldn't it be neat if someone in the U.S. was working on them? If they are extinct, I suppose someone would have to start over again at square one breeding the color into Marans.....

A good place to start would be Golden Salmon. Though Columbian is Partridge based, wildtype duckwing (Golden Salmon) isn't far from it at all.

Quote:

I dont know if Crele and golden Cuckoos Marans are genetically the same thing but they look similar. Some people do have golden cuckoos. I have four of them. 2 girls and 2 boys
big_smile.png

Are you talking about mean chickens in general or just mainly mean roosters? What age are these meanies? SOmetimes adolescent roos will go through a hormonal stage where they will challenge you to defend their ladies, food, territory what have ya. Usually they grow out of it, if not they you have to decide if you want to deal with them or cull.

Crele is Barred Duckwing (in Marans, that's a Cuckoo Golden-Salmon)

Most colorful barred Marans out there are "Gold Cuckoo" which are actually barred Brown-Red (Black Copper)

Quote:
That's good to know
thumbsup.gif

ETA: I have a barred black tailed buff roo (unrelated to my other golden cuckoos). He is really pretty! Looks real close to a golden cuckoo, I didn't notice the difference until someone pointed it out.

Last edited:
Gees, that weather man sure lied! It's already 90 here and humid. Forgot I had Wazine, thanks Lynette! Just Wazined everyone, hope they all get their share, that's the only thing I don't like about worming via water. Nobody is much laying these days anyway, so no loss of eggs to speak of. What they do lay will go to the dogs.

Saw something easier for a run! T-posts and electrical conduit to attach to each post, arch over to the next post for Mom's head room! I've already got cattle panels with chicken wire 2' up, that WAS my garden...pffttt. So, if I cut the garden in half, and add some 4' welded wire to the cattle panels, arch the conduit over the top and lay fence over that...voila! Cheap and easy chicken run!!
wee.gif

I also thought of an easy idea for spare mini-coops, like for a breeding pair or bantams. You know the wooden crates that moving companies use??? Yup, they sell them, and some will even deliver to you if they can get their truck in. Add some roofing, cut some doors, paint/stain it, set on some legs, and there ya go! Some of them even come on a pallet, so set the pallet on some bricks/cement blocks, and it's off the ground. Now, if I can borrow my friend's trailer....
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Hi Jeremy,

I agree. I don't understand why they want to make breeds the same colors? Those Columbians look like a Sussex or Light Brahma to me. Same with the Golden Salmon, why not just get a Welsummer?? As for the Chocolate everythings, I don't see that either; it's a brown bird. That's just my thinking on it, so don't anyone get their hackles ruffled!
gig.gif
Now, when you come up with a PURPLE CHICKEN, true purple, not lavendar, or lilac neither of which look like their names, then I'm your girl!! I want a PURPLE COPPER FLOCK!!!
yippiechickie.gif
Pink, you've got a smart genetics kid, don't you??
gig.gif

I actually have my blrws for sale. I've had them for 6 yearas now, and its time to move on with different projects. So, I'm hoping to not have any by winter, sorry.
Quote:

what a sweetie she is! I'm working on doing the same project. I'm in my second season of it.....it works indeed! I'm running two separate breeding pens for birchens to keep them straight. The lines look completely different...which is a good thing since most of the birchens out there for sale are pretty small in size for my taste.

I've been meaning to ask you by the way if you will have BLR wyandotte hatching eggs for sale next spring? I'm having a devil of a time finding a cockerel this year, so I'm looking into options for next year

come on a pallet, so set the pallet on some bricks/cement blocks, and it's off the ground

I made a couple of small coops out of pallets before I got more chain link panels. There are lots of ideas on the internet how to make coops, fences, you name it. I found mine for free on CL. Instead of selling them a lot of people just want to be rid of them. Tombstones come in these neat light wooden crates. There is a place next to where I buy my chicken feed and when they have them I usually get them.

Back
Top Bottom