Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I have really heavy duty wind and rain from the South and North here. Plastic would just get torn to pieces after a while with the sun and wind. What I have done is either put the plastic up first and put plastic lattice over it or just attached the plastic to the lattice and put it up. Keeps the wind and rain off. In the summer I take the pieces of lattice down. From plastic lasting only one season now I can use it for 2-3 seasons. I buy the heaviest plastic that I can find. I got a real deal on 4' high roll of plastic a few years back and still have a lot that is not used.

I really like that design. Some friends made one that is similar with a hallway in the back and a door that opened into each pen. They blocked off a section in the back part so the birds could go in there to be out of the weather and put the nestboxes in it. They store their feed and cleaning tools in the hallway.

Quote:
Yes, we have horrific winds here. I'm on a hilltop and there is no break from the wind. I've planted a lot of trees, but lets face it... it takes years before they provide much protection from the wind. Because of that I have avoided using the plastic. Your idea of putting it on the lattice first might be an option for me if I need to do something like that sometime.

I think my plans are just about the opposite of this pen/run you guys are going to do. I have a cement slab from an old barn. I'm going to put the poultry barn on that, 20'x40'. Then off three sides will be the runs, almost encircling the building. There will be a 4' roof overhang on the 3 sides over the runs. Inside, I will have individual pens down both long sides, and an isle down the center. All feeding, watering and egg collecting will be done from the center isle. On one side I will leave room for feed, storage, cages, supplies etc. I am in the process of gathering up building material so hopefully we can get this done in the spring. I'm going to have to make do with our shop and barn for this year.

Quote:
Yes, we have horrific winds here. I'm on a hilltop and there is no break from the wind. I've planted a lot of trees, but lets face it... it takes years before they provide much protection from the wind. Because of that I have avoided using the plastic. Your idea of putting it on the lattice first might be an option for me if I need to do something like that sometime.

I think my plans are just about the opposite of this pen/run you guys are going to do. I have a cement slab from an old barn. I'm going to put the poultry barn on that, 20'x40'. Then off three sides will be the runs, almost encircling the building. There will be a 4' roof overhang on the 3 sides over the runs. Inside, I will have individual pens down both long sides, and an isle down the center. All feeding, watering and egg collecting will be done from the center isle. On one side I will leave room for feed, storage, cages, supplies etc. I am in the process of gathering up building material so hopefully we can get this done in the spring. I'm going to have to make do with our shop and barn for this year.

Sounds like it will be a great looking building when you get it finished! Our coop is a 10' X 12' shed with runs off 1 side- max. capicity is 40 birds
big_smile.png

This is the ony book I have left.

Hi ,
Selling out Marans and Sussex library. None of the soft or cardboard covers on
these offerings have been bent back. The cover alignments all look unread.
$2.00 media mail shipping on all items.
Other shipping choices at cost. No charge for handling. ( international buyers
pay all costs over 2.00 USD)

7. Favorite Recipes of the North American Marans Club and friends. 2003, Never used, gift quality. Color pictorial hardcover, spiral-bound, 176 pages
with index. Includes brief Marans History and Club History. $12.00

Prefer Paypal to bellscolly @ comcast.net (remove spaces before and after @ sign)
Best Regards,
Karen Tewart
(724)238-0221

Last edited:
" I have a cement slab from an old barn. I'm going to put the poultry barn on that, 20'x40'. Then off three sides will be the runs, almost encircling the building. There will be a 4' roof overhang on the 3 sides over the runs. Inside, I will have individual pens down both long sides, and an isle down the center. All feeding, watering and egg collecting will be done from the center isle. On one side I will leave room for feed, storage, cages, supplies etc. I am in the process of gathering up building material so hopefully we can get this done in the spring. I'm going to have to make do with our shop and barn for this year."

I like your idea. I really like the covered aisle. I have almost all of the corrugated metal that I need for roofs for my pens--they are chain link. The Wind was so bad a couple of years ago it about blew my house roof off. Worked out okay as the insurance paid for a new one and the wind didn't bother it at all this year. The wind did tear up the light weight metal roofing on my chicken runs; but, didn't bother the corrugated metal roofing. I got lucky and was able to buy about 30 pieces at one time. I have 4 more to cover and then as is said "the proof is in the puddin' " and I will see how good a job I did this winter.

I have a lot of trees planted and they are pretty big now so that helps. I am on flat ground, actually a flood plain, so no protection from the wind here either. The trees do help with the shade! in the summer. Susan

Quote:
Is amzes me how similiar are paths through life are.....

I have been putting up quarts of spiced pears. I had a big box of cooking pears given to me last Saturday. I have been working deligently to can them all since. So far, I have put up 19 quarts. Tonight, I will put up the last of them .... I think there will be a final 2 - 3 quarts tonight!

I haven't done zucchini relish yet, BUT I did do some hot pepper relish that was to die for!

PICTURES.....

Since my dear Tsunami has received complements before.... perhaps I should just retake some better photos before you critique.
I'll post some in a few days.
wink.png

i think me and your roo have alot in comon including our names and i will leave it at that lol lol
Quote:
Gosh, my wheaten roosters are some of my nicest. They are super friendly and nice, and for the most part some of the other roosters pick on them. They definitely are not the dominant rooster in the yard. Such a difference... just like kids in the same families.... all so different.

I wish I could draw. I would love to see the picture of the spiked collar and tatooed roo LOL

One of the little roos I used to have would stalk me and then attack from behind. I quit wearing shorts as I didn't think the holes in my legs were fashionable. If someone had a camera on me they would have sworn I was some freaked out, paranoid fugitive from the law. I was always watching my back to make sure he wasn't around, even if I had to sneak. One day one of the feral cats scared one of his girls that was close to me. Cocky didn't see the cat, he only saw me and came flying at me. I got my arm up in time or the little creep would have gotten my face. Next time the friends, who gave him to me, came over we caught him and we did spur removal ! Sad to say a lady had to find homes for her chickens as the zoning was changed and I took in her huge, black rooster. Well, cocky challenged him and within minutes there was no more Cocky.

The Marans that I just got, from 3 different sources are all pretty mellow. The most recent rooster (6 mos old) earned the name of Randy Roo. He has left the pullets that are close to his size( 4 mos old) alone; but, chases and tries to breed with the smaller girls(3 1/2 mos old). I took a board and propped it in the corner of the outdoor area so the girls could go in one side and out the other ( Same idea as a Cockatoo nest box). As I watched the girls figured it out. Randy would go in after them and out the girls came--they got their exercise. The next morning all 3 of the "little" girls had gotten out and went back to their old coop. The big girls just give him the "evil eye" and he leaves the two smaller roos alone. I really don't want two coops at this point, one for hiim and one for everyone else. I haven't figured out what to do yet. All of the pullets get along, 4 Cuckoos, 2 BCM and 2 Blues. I'm worried that if I return the youngsters that he will totally stress them out.

The lady I got the youngest pullets and Randy from, said that she has no problems with the roosters fighting with each other or being aggressive to humans. I should have known that Randy would be a problem when, the first night he spent here, he got out of his coop and tried to mate with a Mille Fleur cockerel. He about squished the poor little guy. She said that I could trady Randy for a different cockerel. I really don't want to do that, he is so pretty.

:) I won't call you Randy Rooster. LOL I just looked to see what Wheaten Marans look like. I really think the color is great. Have you posted pictures of yours?

I went out to get a picture of Randy Roo but the light wasn't right. I'll try again later.

Ok guy's here are some pictures of my only 2 marans pullets they are about 14 weeks now what do you think , hoping to use them with my blue boy , if there egg color is good .
55375_005.jpg
55375_011_-_copy.jpg
55375_020.jpg
55375_009_-_copy_2.jpg
55375_101_3785.jpg
With Him ? what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom