Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
The eggs under the girls I candled are looking like they are super close... but otherwise the planted eggs are on day 1
tongue.png

Gilavina-Yes, I saw the post, and I wish I could get off work to go to that, but unfortunately I will be working that weekend. Do they have a spring show there? Maybe I could plan for that. I have to have quite a bit of notice in order to get off work for things like this. My young stock should all be a little more mature by spring, anyway. Lincoln is not that far of a drive for me... maybe an hour and a half.

Yes, I am going to let my hen brood on her eggs. I had someone call me that wanted some. He had contacted me earlier this summer, then we lost contact. In the meantime, I had sold down to just what I wanted to keep. These should be hatching right around halloween. I hope she can hatch them for him. I hadn't planned to hatch any this fall, but you know how that goes!

Little spooky chicks!

Quote:
That's too bad you'll have to miss the show, but I so know how it goes with getting time off. That's how my last job was...couldn't get time off to save my life.

The club I'm a member of does have a spring show...its up in scribner which is about another hour and a few minutes north of Lincoln. The show was being held in conjunction with the Avoca, IA show for a while, but last year was the first year out on their own again and so it is a much smaller one than the fall one. We'll build it back eventually, it just will take a couple more years to get word out and etc.

Last edited:
Quote:
Pure solid Black, Blue and Splash Marans are very rare. Knowing for sure that they do not have the copper or Birchen gene in them is very hard. Alot of "Solid" Marans out there are really copper/birchen Marans that are OVERLY melanized and do not show the copper because the melanization has covered it. If looking for truly pure solid Black, Blue and Splash Marans do alot of homework and asking of questions to find what you are after or a person could find that they paid alot of good money for Black or Blue Coppers that just do not show any copper. A person can find alot of reputable breeders to work with through the Marans of America Club or Marans Chicken Club USA and many here on BYC as well, just takes some digging and the nerve to ask important questions. If someone doesn't want to answer questions about their birds or birds history......MOVE ON...don't waste your time.
smile.png

Know anyone who might have some Blue Marans eggs, even if they are project birds??
wink.png
Given that you see mostly the copper or Birchen gene in the birds, how are the solid black, blue and splash being developed?

Quote:
Kim, Was looking back at some of the pictures and believe I would keep this Blue Copper male for a while. he would be good to breed to a Splash female that isn't his sister. Just a little pointer on the leg feathers, check and see if he has the raised line down his shanks and toes where the feathers would come. Some do not have a continous line down the shank and toe and should be culled.

GUESS WHAT I found in the Nest box today....
smilie_krank_142-1.gif

It is really wierd and I am so hoping one of ya'll with lots of birds has seen something like this before and can identify it! I know part of it is a poop, BUT what is the brown triangle thing? ?

WHAT IS IT ? ? ?
hu.gif

IMG_2937480x640.jpg

and from another angle....

IMG_2936480x640.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom