Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I just purchased 2 French Copper Marans this weekend, a black pullet and a blue pullet.

Here they are:
IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

They're around 6-7 weeks old so it's the ugly stage. The breeder had some very pretty birds though! I'm trying to get them friendly, but right now they want little to do with me!

Cute anyway! Try treating them with small pieces of bread- might take a bit before they eat the bread but once they catch on they will get closer. We start giving bread aound 3-4 weeks of age and that seems to help keep the chicks use to us. Granted some still run away screaming!

Cute anyway! Try treating them with small pieces of bread- might take a bit before they eat the bread but once they catch on they will get closer. We start giving bread aound 3-4 weeks of age and that seems to help keep the chicks use to us. Granted some still run away screaming!

Well right now they're living in the kitchen so they have to see us all the time. We're hoping that will get them over it quick. The black is much friendlier than the blue.

I'm a bad chicken mommy, none of my 8 chickens have names....

Here's a few pics of my Frugal Nesting Boxes LOL! I use them in the broody coops or when the mommas get moved to a broody pen with their chicks. When they get too dirty i just break them down and put them into my compost bins. I get these free at Sam's Club. They let people take empty boxes and cardboard to put groceries in.

LL

Here is a closeup of the egg one of my Golden Cuckoo hens laid today. She likes the frugal boxes.
900x900px-LL-3fd14b22_IMGP2174.jpeg

A BCM broody who is saying " Don't even think about touching my Silver Sussex eggs" LOL!!! I gave her some eggs the other day.

900x900px-LL-62df4c7e_IMGP2220.jpeg

Sebastopol Babies!! They are a pair. The male is larger than the female and a little bit older.
LL

Here's a few pics of my Frugal Nesting Boxes LOL! I use them in the broody coops or when the mommas get moved to a broody pen with their chicks. When they get too dirty i just break them down and put them into my compost bins. I get these free at Sam's Club. They let people take empty boxes and cardboard to put groceries in.

LL

Here is a closeup of the egg one of my Golden Cuckoo hens laid today. She likes the frugal boxes.

A BCM broody who is saying " Don't even think about touching my Silver Sussex eggs" LOL!!! I gave her some eggs the other day.

Sebastopol Babies!! They are a pair. The male is larger than the female and a little bit older.
LL

Those ducklings look like trouble makers!!

Oh my, how ironic you use TYSON uncooked chicken boxes???
lau.gif
gig.gif
They want to make sure they stay non-cooked chickens, and are humoring you!

Love the goslings, the boy looks like he's smiling!

I just bought some White Showgirl eggs!! I have totally lost my mind!!!
wee.gif

LL

LL

I love that! I will have to pick them up every time I go to Sams or Costco. I am pretty sure my girl is going to stick it out... I picked her up off the nest and moved her and she just sat there while the others walked all over her... I got the eggs and moved her back... She is all puffy and growling but not bad. I think I will move her in the shop now that all my grow out pens are free of roos (sold 3 roos today, well 2 and I BEGGED her to take the other one) so they are all gone
woot.gif

I may have another brooder, can I put them in the same pen but different boxes?

I had a HUGE hatch must have been near 90%. They were still hatching when I left so we will see. I put over 160 eggs in the hatcher, I have a batch of 180 due in a week and a half. Hoping to sell most of them at the trade day next saturday.

Back
Top Bottom