Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Wow, awesome hatch! Mine still suck, I don't get it??

Went into the Silkie pen this morning, and I can't find one of my Partridge girls. Guess what?? I now have a broody Silkie!
th.gif

Perfect timing! She can hatch out your showgirls for you!!!!!
wink.png

jumpy.gif

OH NO WAY!! I won't trust a virgin broody with these eggs!! I haven't been out yet this morning, but will see if she is still on her nest. Then later today, I have to move her to their new coop, so that could end her broodiness altogether. I won't trust anyone who "plays" wannabe mama until I see chicks running around!
jumpy.gif

Did a 10 day candling last night and all but one appears viable. Don't really know if it has stopped growing or is just way behind the others.

You could candle that egg again in a few days to see if there is any growth. Chances are, if it's not close to the rest of them, it's a quitter, but I'd candle again to be sure. Or, if you are like me, I can't see much in my Marans eggs, so mark it, and put it in a spot in the bator where you can watch it closely for any ooze or stink. I have yet to have one explode in the bator, but it can happen!

mornin Debbi! I'm almost ready to ship out your seeds! My work schedule is freed up just a bit in the am hours since one of the older employees is back from her winter vacation, so I can actually get to the post office hopefully in the next couple of days to send them off to you!

Did it freeze down your way? Its day three of freezing at night and have two more days to go...so its been the nightly event of covering sensitive plants in the garden.

mornin Debbi! I'm almost ready to ship out your seeds! My work schedule is freed up just a bit in the am hours since one of the older employees is back from her winter vacation, so I can actually get to the post office hopefully in the next couple of days to send them off to you!

Did it freeze down your way? Its day three of freezing at night and have two more days to go...so its been the nightly event of covering sensitive plants in the garden.

Mornin' Vicki!

At your leisure lady. We have freeze warnings for tonight and tomorrow night. Supposedly, no hard freezes, but it already dipped to 30* here in the hollar, so??? Luckily, I haven't planted anything yet, but I worry for all the trees and flowers! My apple tree has already flowered. That one year we had a hard freeze after everything had leafed out was pretty scary. I had never in my life seen that happen, and all the trees lost their leaves! We all wondered if they would leaf out again, and thankfully, they did. Hope that doesn't happen again, but I sure could stand the freeze killing off a bunch of bugs!!!

Mornin' Vicki!

At your leisure lady. We have freeze warnings for tonight and tomorrow night. Supposedly, no hard freezes, but it already dipped to 30* here in the hollar, so??? Luckily, I haven't planted anything yet, but I worry for all the trees and flowers! My apple tree has already flowered. That one year we had a hard freeze after everything had leafed out was pretty scary. I had never in my life seen that happen, and all the trees lost their leaves! We all wondered if they would leaf out again, and thankfully, they did. Hope that doesn't happen again, but I sure could stand the freeze killing off a bunch of bugs!!!
ugh!!! dont even get me started on the bugs! My worst nightmare might possibly be coming true this year with how mild the winter ended up being. The Spiders are ENORMOUS! I HATE spiders!!! last night when I was grabbing the frost blankets from the bench on the porch there was a spider hiding in one of them, that I kid you not...was over 3 inches in diameter...
barnie.gif
ep.gif
sickbyc.gif
. Let me tell you...that thing was dead in about 2 seconds flat! It was DISGUSTING!!!!

Morning!

Thanks Vicki! Lil Bill is one of my favorites.....now we wait to see if the stupid white feather in the hackle comes back.

Thanks Raven! I am sorry that your Birchens did not turn out the way you had hoped. I also have a gold girl in there...she will go to the layer flock and be buddies with Bill Sr. I hope this one girl that I have that is silver lays a better egg than she came out of. We should be seeing the eggs very soon.
What I can't wait for...........the Silver Black Birchen chicks that are coming from Tom Culpepper.

Crumly~ Those chicks are ADORABLE!!!!!!!! To me and only by looking at the wing, they all look to be pullets except the one in the last wing photo.....and I will be happy as a clam if you got a Splash girlie!
Can you put a side view photo of each one of them up again in a couple days.....I need to see them around 3-5 days.

Debbi~ You got showgirls?????? Where did I miss that announcement??? Geesh! I've been missing alot around here lately. I hope your broody Silkie girl does the job for you.

Back
Top Bottom