MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
So, just one little one has just hatched from the 25 set! Two eggs are still in the incubator, but I suspect they are DIS.
She is a lavender silkie, still wet, a bit shrink wrapped. I will post a photo when she is all dry and fluffed up. Going to have to integrate her with 10 day to 3 week old chicks, will be a challenge.
I was hoping for two, but I can make this work!😊
Can't wait for a picture! I'd like to see what a lavender Silkie chick looks like so I can compare to mine..... :)

So after a few hours sleep, I went to check on the little one. She was chirping and moving her legs a bit, but had not really moved at all for the past 4 hours. I figured she was worn out after a difficult hatch (took her several hours to zip). I then realized that the egg gunk had functioned like glue and she was stuck to the shelf liner I use at hatch. Poor thing was unable to move! Got some q-tips in warm water and managed to loosen it up, then saw that her wing and neck were also stuck in position to her body by this "glue". I pulled her out of the incubator put her under a heat lamp and basically washed all of this stuff off of her with warm water and prompty put her in the other incubator that was already warmed up to 98 degrees, no water added, to function as a "dryer". She is now thrashing normally around the whole incubator as she should be. 😊

I haven’t been back to this thread, oops! I had one little out of my 3 old eggs I had set hatch. Other 2 were DIS, one very badly malpositioned. :( the little one that hatched is cutie though. :)
9A91EA68-7806-417B-984D-B885CBCA859D.jpeg

Exactly! I have at least a dozen ladies who are 3+ years old. While I'm getting a lot of eggs at the moment (15-20/day), these chicks are really for ensuring a good season NEXT year. Always got to plan ahead.... 😂 😉
Next year and hopefully get a young group laying before winter that will continue to lay through winter. My little ones were too late last year and winter actually delayed their start. They were July 1 chicks. I never imagined winter was gonna stunt egg laying for them. Ya never know...

Back
Top Bottom