MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
Ha, those babies are hard to resist. Polish chickens are so pretty too.

I was told about 20 minutes ago that I'm not allowed to go back to tractor supply because I may have brought home all the bantams they had and set up the brooder early to accommodate them.
We still have a bit over two weeks until our current eggs hatch, but this might mean I won't be allowed to set so many next time.
When we were at tractor supply my wife saw all those chicks and wanted them all. Then my daughter saw the polish at the next place and she wasn’t so sure about that lol. I have a feeling once our eggs hatch it’s going to end up reloaded with more within a week My wife loves the chicks.

Just had to share- we hatched our first chicks last August, and I put their (pretty late) first eggs straight in the incubator- two hatched today, one pip!!
Could not be more excited, I was initially expecting them to be clear. Did not monitor the humidity because my govee battery died.
Hens are Swedish flower hens and Plymouth Rock, at the time we had 2 SFH cockerels, 2 Plymouth rock cockerels and one Silverruds bla with them. (Had to seperate them, nice flock went downhill fast when Hens started to lay!)
I´m so excited how they´ll turn out! The SFH roo was the "alpha"- don´t know if that means he fathered most chicks?

My hen is sitting on 4 brown eggs due on the 18th. These are from a near by farm.
3m.PNG

I have 3 in incubator from fridge of health food store.
the others were clear, and 2 quit, so I just have these three below.
They are due April fools day.
3 o.PNG

Last time I set eggs from this lady, none hatched (they had no roosters), this time I knew they have one young rooster, I didn't expect many to be fertile, but I hatched out her little tan eggs before, they are really sweet birds.

I went to see how my hen eggs were doing. One had a hole in it. Pecked by hen. I candled all 4 had veins, but only one looked pretty good. The pecked one still had veins, but I think it is a loss at 5 days out. These are not any I was hoping for. But I will give them back to the hen. Hopefully she will not kill the rest.
3m.PNG

I went to see how my hen eggs were doing. One had a hole in it. Pecked by hen. I candled all 4 had veins, but only one looked pretty good. The pecked one still had veins, but I think it is a loss at 5 days out. These are not any I was hoping for. But I will give them back to the hen. Hopefully she will not kill the rest.
View attachment 2568561
I'm sorry one of the four eggs got pecked. I'm very unexperienced but I read that little cracks and holes can be covered with candle-wax - is the hole small or bigger? If it is small perhaps it would be an option if there are only 5 days ahead?

Day 6 candling
I checked up on the last four eggs.
Speckled Sussex - Growing nicely
Lavender Orpington - I see a tiny dot, but no veining.
My backyard mixes - one was clear, the other shows good growth.

I checked in with a couple of the eggs from before.
The welsummer seems interesting, not sure if a chick is growing but something is.
None of the Lavender Orpington eggs look promising. But a few of the speckled seems to be doing well.
My appenzeller mix looks great, love how clear the veining looks under the white shell.

Now to try leaving them alone until day 10.

Back
Top Bottom