MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
Today I drove 2.5 hours to pick up 13 American Bresse eggs, it was 83 degrees out so I kept my ac temp at 76 degrees. Does this count toward the settling time or do I need to start the settling time from when I got them inside the house? Iam excited to get them set. But I so want to get this hatch right .
20210313_191950.jpg

Last edited:
I will have silkie baby photos hopefully tomorrow! I wanted to give them a few days to hang out and get to eating and drinking :)
Shipped egg update:
Down to 10/12 Hedemoras and 6/12 55 Flowery. Had blood rings appear throughout the days :(
I set some silkie eggs for easter hatch along as well...
In other exciting news....we got a new "coop"! Killer deal we found online so we went today to tear down and now tomorrow we are setting back up! Silkies will have their own home far away from the loud birds and closer to my porch. Cannot wait !

I am joining in on the Easter hatch! I set 7 Cream Legbar (shipped) and 4 eggs from my Blue Andalusians. Well... I know 3 are from my Blue Andalusians. The 4th is also a white egg but could possibly be a Game hen egg which is crossed with my GLW rooster, if fertile. I put the BA eggs in because DH has decided he prefers to have more white eggs to balance out the rainbow of other colors.... 😂

I will have silkie baby photos hopefully tomorrow! I wanted to give them a few days to hang out and get to eating and drinking :)
Shipped egg update:
Down to 10/12 Hedemoras and 6/12 55 Flowery. Had blood rings appear throughout the days :(
I set some silkie eggs for easter hatch along as well...
In other exciting news....we got a new "coop"! Killer deal we found online so we went today to tear down and now tomorrow we are setting back up! Silkies will have their own home far away from the loud birds and closer to my porch. Cannot wait !
Can't wait to see the babies!😊

Well I have 21 of 24 eggs going into lockdown at 9:00am tomorrow morning!

Candled tonight & pulled any eggs that were not developed which was only 3. All the other 21 eggs had movement!

Question I have is: when you guys candle before lockdown do you often notice chick development differences?

So for instance I had 3/4 of the eggs look super full as I would expect for day 18 but then I had about 1/4 of the eggs look around 1-2 days behind. Still lots of movement but they just didn’t fill the egg as much. I’m going to give until day 24 in case they are behind a bit.

Could this be a breed difference or just a normal occurrence?

well, I candled my eggs today. Out of 115 I got 73 still in the running.
I had to take out 31 of 42 eggs from my "yellow" breeding group. One of them had died the others infertile. I have to say, on February 10th I replaced the rooster since the other one wasn't mating at all with the hens. So, I guess the hens didn't accept him yet. 11 are fertile and doing very well. Next time I am hoping for more! The yellow group has my best hens and the prettiest rooster! I am collecting eggs as of today. April hatch! yay!

Well I have 21 of 24 eggs going into lockdown at 9:00am tomorrow morning!

Candled tonight & pulled any eggs that were not developed which was only 3. All the other 21 eggs had movement!

Question I have is: when you guys candle before lockdown do you often notice chick development differences?

So for instance I had 3/4 of the eggs look super full as I would expect for day 18 but then I had about 1/4 of the eggs look around 1-2 days behind. Still lots of movement but they just didn’t fill the egg as much. I’m going to give until day 24 in case they are behind a bit.

Could this be a breed difference or just a normal occurrence?
I had one like that this last hatch. Seemed to catch up the last few days of incubation. It could be some temperature differences in the incubator, "cold spots". They may need a few more days as you have already planned.😊

Back
Top Bottom