MARCH 2021 HATCH-A-LONG 🌷🌸🌼

Pics
Four of our eight are hatched and moved to the brooder this morning. Three of the remaining have pipped. But one was a very early pip yesterday and we were worried, so we tried to intervene. I'm not at all sure we're doing this right, but we watched a few videos first. Peeled some of the shell, watched closely for veins and bleeding. The membrane is quite tight and like hard paper. We opened a section of that. The chick is breathing and peeping. At that point we worried it was getting too chilled so we popped it back in the brooder to rest. Should I go forward with assisting it? Or is it likely that it will be able to finish on its own now? I'm concerned the other pips might be similarly struggling. I swear that hen has the toughest egg shells of any chicken I've known.

Whew, the chick we helped out of the shell has finished its hatch. It's resting but seems like it might make it. Now I've got three eggs left, and if one shrink wrapped should I assume I've caused the others to as well? Two of the three have external pips. Good chance I'm over-reacting as well! Any ideas on what I should do?
IMG_7434.jpeg

Whew, the chick we helped out of the shell has finished its hatch. It's resting but seems like it might make it. Now I've got three eggs left, and if one shrink wrapped should I assume I've caused the others to as well? Two of the three have external pips. Good chance I'm over-reacting as well! Any ideas on what I should do?View attachment 2577662
I have never assisted a hatch. This is my first time hatching. I wish you well on your decision. My gut would say wait as it can take 12 hours or more from pip to zip from what I have read. My first chick pipped at 6:00 am and didn’t hatch until 4:30pm.

I picked up the doublemint twins to go with the chick I hatched. A lady in a near by town just hatched them yesterday, so they are St. patty chicks. Delawares. View attachment 2575518
Katydid, Meadow (meadow grass hopper) and cricket.
Laying down under light.
View attachment 2575522

Since I was in town I picked up these eggs from the fridge, at the health food store, they are diff farm eggs than the ones I just tried hatching from. The farm is one mile from my house. They used to sell eggs, then took a break. I am going to candle them and also call and ask if they are fertile. I could have gone and picked them up, fresh I suppose, I like to hatch fridge chicks I guess.View attachment 2575529
They're adorable! And I love the names you picked!

I have to recount think I had 39 eggs out of 41 3 hatch so far another just getting started. Another batch in for beginning May.
Took the other Brahma/lorps out to the Barn yesterday, 4weeks old. They have a mini brooder they can hide in while they integrate with the big chickens,
At night they are with the silkies. Silkies did not seem to mind them.

I had to skip this thread. My eggs arrived on wednesday. The estimated hatch day is April the 8. I ordered only 20 and got 31.... the almost didn't fit in my incubator. And I got my King Suro 20 incubator, hopefully he is more accuarte then my old on.

I hope your chicks hatch healty. I squeeze my thumbs. Maybe some of you will also join the april hatch-a-long.

I had to skip this thread. My eggs arrived on wednesday. The estimated hatch day is April the 8. I ordered only 20 and got 31.... the almost didn't fit in my incubator. And I got my King Suro 20 incubator, hopefully he is more accuarte then my old on.

I hope your chicks hatch healty. I squeeze my thumbs. Maybe some of you will also join the april hatch-a-long.
April hatch along has started! Join in! 🥰

I have to recount think I had 39 eggs out of 41 3 hatch so far another just getting started. Another batch in for beginning May.
Took the other Brahma/lorps out to the Barn yesterday, 4weeks old. They have a mini brooder they can hide in while they integrate with the big chickens,
At night they are with the silkies. Silkies did not seem to mind them.
That sounds perfect for getting them integrated!
My hubby built me an outdoor brooder in the coop so the main flock can get used to the new chicks. I’ll move the new chicks out in a couple of weeks!

Back
Top Bottom