March Hatch-A-Long

20190412_170011.jpg
Somehow I have missed a lot of posts on this thread. I thought it had just suddenly died off. So tonight, I tried to quickly catch up. Congratulations on the baby birds. Condolences on the ones that didn't make it. It is easy to get down about them. I know I did. The father along they are, the harder it is. But, I hold out hope for better future hatches.

We had a hen go broody during this incubation. She hatched both her eggs, but we lost one on Fri. We weren't home, and I don't know what happened. I was very sad about it. On Sunday I decided to bring the other chick in. The hen didn't seem to be doing very well at taking care of it, even though she was trying.

Sunday night we picked up a chick friend for it. Monday we picked up two more, because, well, chicks. :)

Here are pics of the two that hatched from the eggs I incubated...now.

Last edited:
View attachment 1742379 Somehow I have missed a lot of posts on this thread. I thought it had just suddenly died off. So tonight, I tried to quickly catch up. Congratulations on the baby birds. Condolences on the ones that didn't make it. It is easy to get down about them. I know I did. The father along they are, the harder it is. But, I hold out hope for better future hatches.

We had a hen go broody during this incubation. She hatched both her eggs, but we lost one on Fri. We weren't home, and I don't know what happened. I was very sad about it. On Sunday I decided to bring the other chick in. The hen didn't seem to be doing very well at taking care of it, even though she was trying.

Sunday night we picked up a chick friend for it. Monday we picked up two more, because, well, chicks. :)

Here are pics of the two that hatched from the eggs I incubated...now.
Yeah, the thread seemed to be teetering off for a little while, but it's kind of become a March/April hatch along for those who aren't doing the easter one.:D I figure a new one will be made for May though.

Congratulations on the chicks. Sorry about the one that died, but at least the other one has some friends.

How are everyones march chicks doing?

I have a feeling I am roo heavy, just the way they are looking at me :lol:

My button quail surprised me in how many hatched, got 18 / 30. Think my partner is getting fed up with the spare room being just a poultry nursery :lau Only 1 of the jersey giants is developing, and they are the only ones he has ever showed interest in! It better hatch!

I didn't realize this thread had kept going. Way to go those of you who have hatched in the meantime!

My babies are doing great. They're almost 4 weeks old now. I'm about to deep clean their brooder then I may post an update photo. My lone turkey poult has been a little raspy sounding since the beginning so I figured it would either grow out of it or die (as turkeys sometimes do!) but it seems fine. My weird rumpless Marans is fine too. None of them really fit under their mama heating pad cave anymore so they lay on top of it now.

I lost track of this thread too! Well here are my March chicks, photos taken Tuesday. I’m trying to take individual pics weekly. The first 2 were hatched March 9 and the other 4 hatched March 23.

16ACA8AC-8498-4FDE-A2F9-3B93A7E474E9.jpeg

ICB cockerel “Greg”

4CCAC105-B6F7-4111-82FA-B50FF72B4E46.jpeg

ICB pullet “Clover”

2109906C-3B3E-4841-96EB-060E57203EEC.jpeg

ICB pullet “Blackberry”

9E63400E-9489-4971-A761-860B9AF3CD07.jpeg

ICB pullet “Cinder”

3FBD3B1F-7EA2-4BF3-A0D2-211FE373C04D.jpeg

ICB pullet “Ash”

6CE86F6C-9E81-4E3B-B1A1-FCB0EFA34D4D.jpeg

09A0F848-3561-450F-90F8-8A9221292E45.jpeg

Olive egger (Isbar x Marans) “Featherfoot” - unsexed but due to behaviour and red comb at 3 weeks, I suspect cockerel.

Finally caught up on all the posts here. Didn't enter the Easter hatchalong, my chicks rarely hatch on due date and since my main incubator failed I now have all the staggered hatches running in my hatching incubator, turners either side with a basket in the middle for hatches. I did try hatching a couple in a 7 egg mini incubator but it was too hot in middle and too cold around edge so could really only hold 3 eggs. I had eggs due to hatch today and being Easter I was really hoping some would hatch but not really confident as with this setup the humidity has been pretty high all the way through. Well what a suprise I got after returning from a day out for Easter and my grandson's baptism to find a chick hatched a 2 had pipped and now another one pipped :wee
20190421_161329.jpg

Back
Top Bottom