March Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Hello All - just stumbled across this thread. I have 3 golden laced wyandotte bantams with 3 days to go but a little worried about their air sacs - please see this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/air-sac-size-and-lockdown-question.1297058/ if anyone on here can help.

I also have 2 eggs under a broody hen - one gold laced and one silver laced so will see what happens. First time I've had a broody hen, but my two daughters wanted chicks inside too!

Hello All - just stumbled across this thread. I have 3 golden laced wyandotte bantams with 3 days to go but a little worried about their air sacs - please see this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/air-sac-size-and-lockdown-question.1297058/ if anyone on here can help.

I also have 2 eggs under a broody hen - one gold laced and one silver laced so will see what happens. First time I've had a broody hen, but my two daughters wanted chicks inside too!
Welcome. Good luck on your chicks. Hopefully they will be okay with the air sacs and everything.

Nice hatch from shipped eggs. Here are my St. Patty's Day Chicks. Looks like a nice number of pullets.

SBELs (CCL x White Leghorn)

SBEL Clutch.jpg

A couple Iowa Blue chicks from my flock (to fill the incubator for the elementary kids hatching the eggs)
Iowa Blue Clutch.jpg

12 Exchequer Leghorn chicks, have wanted these for a LONG time.

Exchequer Clutch.jpg

Attachments

• SBEL Clutch.jpg
    SBEL Clutch.jpg
    822.8 KB · Views: 0
Nice hatch from shipped eggs. Here are my St. Patty's Day Chicks. Looks like a nice number of pullets.

View attachment 1705193

A couple Iowa Blue chicks from my flock (to fill the incubator for the elementary kids hatching the eggs)
View attachment 1705196

View attachment 1705194
Congratulations! Those are some cute chicks. It's great that you finally got some exchequer leghorns since you have wanted them for so long. It's also always nice to try a new breed once in a while.

View attachment 1705193

View attachment 1705196

View attachment 1705194
Congratulations! Those are some cute chicks. It's great that you finally got some exchequer leghorns since you have wanted them for so long. It's also always nice to try a new breed once in a while.

Is anyone here hatching in the easter hatch a long? I was going to set eggs this past week but the weather was bad so I decided to wait, so I have decided to just do the easter hatch. Just wondering if I will see any of y'all over there?
Not me.. Although I loved the experience, im exhausted. And its a rollercoaster of emotion. My shipped chicks did not fare well, They shipped 20 and Im down to only 9. Crazy. I have never had an issue with chicks dying but I usually buy local. Anyway, I was worried they needed more than my mama heating pad could give so I just ordered premier heat plate and will set it up tonight. My heating pad is old but it does seem to be working so its probably more of the stress of being shipped than anything else. Also my 6 hatchlings will need to be added to the rest so I don't want to take any chances. I made a second mama heating pad for my hatchlings and currently have them in my jacuzzi tub. There is still one in the incubator, the last to hatch was still a teeny tiny bit damp so im giving it another hour in the bator.

So, Ive always bought my chicks local and they are usually running around eating drinking and going in and out of the mama heating pad. Should I be concerned that my freshly hatched chicks are just kinda laying under the heat, taking a few pecks at food but not really drinking? Are they just tired and haven't perked up yet?

Also, my shipped chicks which hatched on weds that I have left seem pretty robust now all except for one tiny silkie.

Ill try to post a pic of my new hatchlings under the heating pad.

@Merrymouse what kind did you order? How much and where from?
I’d been contemplating of getting one of those heat plate for few yrs now but I enjoy seeing the chicks out instead of under a warming plate, maybe I can invent a see thru or transparent one that shape like a mother hen. :old
Ive always just used a homemade mama heating pad but it looks like the chicken hobby is not going away any time soon so I just ordered the premiere one heating plate, the one that says you can warm 50 chicks. I thought the other one would get too small too fast as they grow. I got the one without the triangle topper because my chicks like to sit on top sometimes and if they poop on it Ill clean it, no biggie. Ill try to get you a link. I ordered it this morning around 10:00 and amazon just not delivered it. Thats crazy i ordered it about 8 or 9 hours ago and its now at my door..gotta love amazon.

Amazon.com : Premier Chick Brooder Heating Plate - 16" x 24" : Gateway

193342F7-3322-4C46-B7EB-E8F8D0A86A5D.jpeg
E739BE9A-9E1B-4001-BD2A-99BE1F662760.jpeg
Oops posting from my cell sorry for the above error

So here is a pic of the new hatchlings under the mama heating pad in my jacuzzi. When I lift the pad they look around but they seem really sleepy. I know they don’t have to drink and eat because they are freshly hatched but I just want to make sure you all think they are ok.

I’m going to go set up the premiere heat plate now. Stay tuned

Back
Top Bottom