Mareks or injured leg?

Hughesfamily81

In the Brooder
May 16, 2016
Went out to the coop on Monday and found my 3 year old hen unable to put any weight on her right leg. It just seemed floppy. Took her to the vet and she said beginning sins of Mareks. She is eating well has firm stool and is alert. The vet did xray and mothing is broken, could it be a ruptured tendon or something. I have her isolated and as you can see in the pics she is mow holding it up. Don't want to assume Mareks and put her down. I see no other signs of Mareks.

Attachments

• 20170924_132814.jpg
    20170924_132814.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170924_132829.jpg
    20170924_132829.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170924_132910.jpg
    20170924_132910.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 7
Mareks birds are generally down. It doesn't strike me as Mareks currently. Time will tell. Mareks will only worsen, a leg injury will eventually improve or stay the same. I would definitely wait before making any decisions.

Mareks birds are generally down. It doesn't strike me as Mareks currently. Time will tell. Mareks will only worsen, a leg injury will eventually improve or stay the same. I would definitely wait before making any decisions.
Thank you. How quickly will Mareks get worse? Tomorrow will be a week.

Generally within 1-3 weeks.

Last year I had a young rooster fall behind some board and he ended up with a floppy leg. It took about 4 months for him to walk on it again, so leg injuries can take a while to heal.

I would try some poultry vitamins containing B vitamins and riboflavin, some B complex ground into food, or some PolyVisol without iron 2-3 drops daily. Treat for a riboflavin deficiency, make sure that she can get food and water, allow her to rest her leg if it could be injured, and you should be able to get some idea what is going on with some time. Mareks is often over diagnosed, but it can be common in younger chickens, especially this time of year. The only way to diagnose it is to do a necropsy after death, and ask the state vet to do testing. They have to examine feather shafts and tumors if present.

Thanl you. I will keep an eye on her and ser how the next couple weeks go
I would try some poultry vitamins containing B vitamins and riboflavin, some B complex ground into food, or some PolyVisol without iron 2-3 drops daily. Treat for a riboflavin deficiency, make sure that she can get food and water, allow her to rest her leg if it could be injured, and you should be able to get some idea what is going on with some time. Mareks is often over diagnosed, but it can be common in younger chickens, especially this time of year. The only way to diagnose it is to do a necropsy after death, and ask the state vet to do testing. They have to examine feather shafts and tumors if present.
Thank you will get it ordered. Is this what you are talking about? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GG2KB0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1
Do I give the PolyVisol and the vitamins or just one or the other? I appreciate your input and help.

No, that one has iron. Only use one or the other. Even some chopped beef liver kept frozen and fed a little at a time would be a good source of riboflavin. B Complex is a very inexpensive source, and 1/2 tablet crushed daily into feed would be more than enough.
shopping

No, that one has iron. Only use one or the other. Even some chopped beef liver kept frozen and fed a little at a time would be a good source of riboflavin. B Complex is a very inexpensive source, and 1/2 tablet crushed daily into feed would be more than enough.
shopping
Thank you sorry I misread your previous post it clearly says without iron not with iron. Thanks again for you help.

Back
Top Bottom