Mass Chick Death- WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED???

Pics
You mentioned that a lot of the chicks weren't in their own enclosure and that the survivors were huddling around the edges. What is your heat source again?

Is it possible that something happened with the heat source and it overheated the brooder? In that case I would expect chicks to be doing all they can to get away from the heat -including busting out- and then once away maybe chilling to death.

Heat source is a Preimier 1 heat plate. The surviving chicks were found under it. No dead were under the heat plate and no signs it malfunctioned.

Normally the big chicks have a red heat lamp bulb on but I turned it off recently because it was too hot.

We are in Canada and have never seen snakes here other than harmless, shy little garter snakes. Haven’t seen any yet this spring.

Heat source is a Preimier 1 heat plate. The surviving chicks were found under it. No dead were under the heat plate and no signs it malfunctioned.

Normally the big chicks have a red heat lamp bulb on but I turned it off recently because it was too hot.

We are in Canada and have never seen snakes here other than harmless, shy little garter snakes. Haven’t seen any yet this spring.
Do you have these? Only member in the weasel family that can climb well.

You have said that you found mold in the feed from the nipple waterer, and water needed to be changed, so I would look at possible mold toxicity. Since they are jumping all into the huge bowl of feed, there also could be coccidiosis. That is treated with amprol or amprollium, which in Canada, most have to get it from a vet. At the vet’s they might be able to test some droppings for coccidiosis.

You may be right, Cyprus. I am NO expert. I'm just concerned about identifying vectors and shutting them down ASAP.

On the other hand, in a large flock, it might be hard to notice the displayed symptoms. How acute are they?

From the US Dept. of Agriculture:

Virulent Newcastle disease is a contagious and fatal viral disease affecting the respiratory, nervous and digestive systems of birds and poultry. The disease is so virulent that many birds and poultry die without showing any clinical signs. A death rate of almost 100 percent can occur in unvaccinated poultry flocks. Virulent Newcastle disease can infect and cause death even in vaccinated poultry.

Clinical signs of virulent Newcastle disease include: sudden death and increased death loss in the flock; sneezing; gasping for air; nasal discharge; coughing; greenish, watery diarrhea; decreased activity; tremors; drooping wings; twisting of the head and neck; circling; complete stiffness; and swelling around the eyes and neck. Images of some of these signs are available here.
Unfortunately, that matches a lot of the symptoms in this case.

But the next question would be why aren't they all dead? And OP is in Canada. It is so hard to bring birds from the U.S to Canada, although I guess the virus of course can travel with or without a host.

Do you have these? Only member in the weasel family that can climb well.

This is what we have in our neck of the woods, and I've seen them climb straight up a tree and do not need to hang onto branches to do it. That's why when I saw the door lock hole I assumed a weasel could easily access it ;) but apparently that hole no longer exists so :confused:

You have said that you found mold in the feed from the nipple waterer, and water needed to be changed, so I would look at possible mold toxicity. Since they are jumping all into the huge bowl of feed, there also could be coccidiosis. That is treated with amprol or amprollium, which in Canada, most have to get it from a vet. At the vet’s they might be able to test some droppings for coccidiosis.
I'll add that the chicks I had who may have died from mold toxicity had twisted necks and were stiff immediately after death.

Unfortunately, that matches a lot of the symptoms in this case.

But the next question would be why aren't they all dead? And OP is in Canada. It is so hard to bring birds from the U.S to Canada, although I guess the virus of course can travel with or without a host.

Newcastles can be vectored in wild birds, and the wild birds can be asymptomatic. I'd say get a couple of chicks off to a necropsy facility ASAP.

Plus if it is disease, it would be really good to know before you get any potential replacement chicks. Since you lost so many I'm assuming you probably want more, but want to solve this mystery first so that the flock will be safe.

So, sorry for your losses! Which breed were they? (Edit: did you have a head count on them? If any were missing I’d be far more inclined to think weasel.) I’ve never seen pine martens on the island, but they sound more likely than a mink. No humans are getting past your dogs without notice, and your property is well secured. I would think a weasel or moldy feed would be the prime suspect...

I’m not aware of any VND or other poultry diseases in our area, though someone on our island (Saturna) had a huge die off with his meat bird chicks right after arrival. I forget which hatchery he got them from, but it’s one of the large ones in our area.

I’m guessing you are using Top Shelf Feeds, and their products are good. I wouldn’t worry about the past date yogurt (I eat it myself all the time, unless it actually had mold or becomes severely sour).

I would double check the Sea Can though... if there’s even a “slight” possibility of a penetration on the bottom somewhere where you can’t see it, something could get in then chew through the insulation inside the walls and out through somewhere that isn’t readily apparent.

Hope you get this solved soon!

Last edited:
It is so tragic to witness that!
I had a similar thing happen to me and it was a weasel! It really sounds like it from your description.
When I researched it in my case I found out they will mass kill by just biting the neck at the base of the skull and breaking the neck. A lot of times they don’t eat them.
I know this sounds gruesome and I apologize for that but that surely helped me determine the cause.
I believe you are in California so I looked up what member of the weasel family could possibly be the culprit. Sure enough... there is a native long tail weasel (copper brown in color with a “mask” facial markings).
They can fit through a 2 inch crack and are very agile and quick. Maybe check your ceiling, vents or any electrical outlets for the smallest opening.
I would relocate the birds to another area because it could return once it has discovered them.
I hope this has helped, and again I apologize if I was too graphic.

Back
Top Bottom