MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 20, 2016.

1. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Good problem to have.

That is step one before putting the eggs in.

2. banannalee

banannalee In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2015
    I havent checked what should they look like...i admit to my ignorance

3. mlm Mike

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. harrellkd

harrellkd Chirping

Wanted to share in hopes that this may help someone!

During the last hatch, I had two sets of eggs from different breeders. One set a day behind the others. On day 21, one of the chicks had hatched and somehow gotten tangled in the incubator fan wires. I cracked the incubator open to retrieve the chick, and in doing so, I accidentally cracked the top open on one of the Day 20 eggs!!!!! Luckily, it had pipped internally, but the membrane quickly started to dry out! I followed @Sally Sunshine assisted hatching 101 found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

The little chick was doing well, but even after peeling back the membrane and uncountable hours, it wasn't coming out of the shell. It finally unfolded it's head but still did not emerge. As suggested by Sally, I placed the egg, wrapped in a warm wet paper towel, inside a small cup in the incubator. I went to dinner, and when I came back, there was the chick! Out of the cup!

Next issue: curled toes and umbilical cord still attached! Unfortunately, the chick struggled to move around between the curled toes and the umbilical cord. Once it was somewhat dry, I removed it long enough to give it Nutri Drench ( a live saver btw if you don't have it). I then left it in the incubator until the cord and matter attached to it had dried and fallen off. I put a little bit of Betadine on the piece of cord still attached.

By the next day, one foot straightened out, but the other one still wasn't quite right, so I fashioned a little boot for the chick, placed it in the brooder and gave it Sav A Chick Electrolytes (another chick must have). I also provided it with small bits on scrambled egg yolk.

It's been a week now since this whole uhh adventure? started, but the chicks feet are completely corrected and it seems to be doing great! This was my first ever assisted hatch, and I couldn't be more pleased. Thank you Sally for your help and advice!!! Here is a little collage of the whole process. I hope this will help someone else!!!!!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. kmarvin

kmarvin In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Northwest Alaska
    I'm hatching chicks in an incubator for the first time. I put seven eggs in this morning that I've been saving over the past week. I have an older flock consisting of an Australorp rooster, 3 Aussie hens, 1 White Rock hen, and 1 Welsummer hen. I have 6 EE eggs being shipped to me the end of May as well. I'm hoping for at least a few hens but I am so new to this!

6. mlm Mike

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Welcome and Good Luck!

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I need one!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016

8. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Tax return came in today, I'm getting an Eco 40 :D

9. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Woohoo!!!

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by