MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Every single one of the shipped WH eggs that I set is developing
ep.gif
It's a good thing I decided to put some of the overflow eggs in my hatcher and incubate them there instead of trying to overfill the Brinsea because none of them are getting pulled. I need another Brinsea. Maybe with my tax return...
Good problem to have.

Always impatient
he.gif
just need to get bator to right temp and stable

That is step one before putting the eggs in.

Quote: You might want to peruse this, and read the appropriate links.

INCUBATION

Hatching Eggs 101 CLICK HERE

Shipped Eggs = Change Of Plans! post #53845
Important FIRST TIMER Incubation TIPS! post #66830
***DUCK INCUBATION, QUAIL, GOOSE, PEAFOWL, GUINEA &

TURKEY Refer to individual sections below

INCUBATION CHARTS FOR ALL FOWL SPECIES CLICK HERE
Weighing Eggs, why and HOW TO! post #70097
INFO on The influence of high altitude on the hatching of chicken eggs post #37908
Egg Incubation Countdown/up Timer 21+ day digital TIMER, no more calendars!! click HERE
Figure out your hatch times Hatch / Egg Turning Chart CLICK HERE
TOTAL INCUBATION TIME HOURS short hatch window is not the only factor to consider post #39238
LINKS TO POST RESULTS ROUND OVAL = FEMALE MALE EGGS post #7595
HOW to figure out FINAL HATCH RATE % post #4601
ANTS IN THE BATOR start post #1884 post #2031
Classroom Incubating Links for Slides Projects Programs Worksheets ETC post #67049
Incubation Seminar/Dr. K Bramwell Univ of Arkansas

EMBRYO GROWTH & HATCH VIDEOS (Click to show)

INCUBATION RECORDS, SOFTWARE/APPS (Click to show)

CANDLING EGGS

HOW TO CANDLE EGGS post #40826
REASONS to NOT candle SO MUCH! http://blog.mypetchicken.com/2013/03/31/5-reasons-why-egg-candling/
BRINSEA HOW TO CANDLE
Candlers/ FLASHLIGHTS TO CANDLE DARK EGGS & Innovations SUGGESTIONS post #38996

Strombergs CANDLERS (basic models 4 hobbyist, high intensity models 4 professionals click HERE
Flashlights - try more than one! post #1689 BEGIN post #2702 post #18179
Saris Toilet Paper addition to flashlight post #40251
Clears at CANDLE are not always infertile!​
post #1825

SHARPIES on EGGS? Sure! post #10857 & the age old question Can you write on a hatchin egg with sharpie. answer is yes with proof
Casportspony Sharpie Eggs post #57508

Candle IMAGES

Last edited:
Wanted to share in hopes that this may help someone!

During the last hatch, I had two sets of eggs from different breeders. One set a day behind the others. On day 21, one of the chicks had hatched and somehow gotten tangled in the incubator fan wires. I cracked the incubator open to retrieve the chick, and in doing so, I accidentally cracked the top open on one of the Day 20 eggs!!!!! Luckily, it had pipped internally, but the membrane quickly started to dry out! I followed @Sally Sunshine assisted hatching 101 found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

The little chick was doing well, but even after peeling back the membrane and uncountable hours, it wasn't coming out of the shell. It finally unfolded it's head but still did not emerge. As suggested by Sally, I placed the egg, wrapped in a warm wet paper towel, inside a small cup in the incubator. I went to dinner, and when I came back, there was the chick! Out of the cup!

Next issue: curled toes and umbilical cord still attached! Unfortunately, the chick struggled to move around between the curled toes and the umbilical cord. Once it was somewhat dry, I removed it long enough to give it Nutri Drench ( a live saver btw if you don't have it). I then left it in the incubator until the cord and matter attached to it had dried and fallen off. I put a little bit of Betadine on the piece of cord still attached.

By the next day, one foot straightened out, but the other one still wasn't quite right, so I fashioned a little boot for the chick, placed it in the brooder and gave it Sav A Chick Electrolytes (another chick must have). I also provided it with small bits on scrambled egg yolk.

It's been a week now since this whole uhh adventure? started, but the chicks feet are completely corrected and it seems to be doing great! This was my first ever assisted hatch, and I couldn't be more pleased. Thank you Sally for your help and advice!!! Here is a little collage of the whole process. I hope this will help someone else!!!!!

I'm hatching chicks in an incubator for the first time. I put seven eggs in this morning that I've been saving over the past week. I have an older flock consisting of an Australorp rooster, 3 Aussie hens, 1 White Rock hen, and 1 Welsummer hen. I have 6 EE eggs being shipped to me the end of May as well. I'm hoping for at least a few hens but I am so new to this!

I'm hatching chicks in an incubator for the first time. I put seven eggs in this morning that I've been saving over the past week. I have an older flock consisting of an Australorp rooster, 3 Aussie hens, 1 White Rock hen, and 1 Welsummer hen. I have 6 EE eggs being shipped to me the end of May as well. I'm hoping for at least a few hens but I am so new to this!
Welcome and Good Luck!

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 in the incubator to hatch in May, so I'm in. Besides I REALLY NEED the coop!

As of yesterday, I have 9 broodies too.

Over run with chicks is an understatement!
I need one!!

Quote:
I cant see your air cell, make sure you understand humidity as I posted earlier to you, are they bantams or largefowl?
Life is a good thing isnt it!!

I am a 4th grade teacher. This is my 2nd year incubating in my classroom. I set 22 eggs yesterday. We hope for a May 17th -18th hatch date. I used eggs from my personal flock of barred rocks.

We will be candling on May 2nd!

My class is very excited. Count us in for our hatch along.

We attempted to participate in the Easter Hatch a long but I was not given clearance by an administrator for that month due to our testing calendar. The kids were patient and were so excited to finally set eggs.
HOW exciting!!!! I love when y'all incubate with the school kiddos!!!! good luck!!!

I'm down an egg. One of the marans eggs had a Crack, eggtopsy showed no growth anyway so either way it was a dud.
29 still cooking though.
sorry bout the dud glad your going strong!!

Caught up on the thread and plan to join. Put eggs in lockdown last night and will start collecting today for the next batch. Might try to get something special but chances are I will still be setting my backyard mutts. It seems to work, they are easy to move when I wind up with too many. Since I don't have a lot invested I can move them cheap to help cover the feed bill.
Welcome over Nathan!!!

Thank you also for the Welcome!! Do I need to wait a full 24 hours from shipment received to set????
I see Mike gave the shipped eggs change of plans info!!! Good luck!!

Every single one of the shipped WH eggs that I set is developing
ep.gif
It's a good thing I decided to put some of the overflow eggs in my hatcher and incubate them there instead of trying to overfill the Brinsea because none of them are getting pulled. I need another Brinsea. Maybe with my tax return...
giggles!!! dont you need a HUGE Brinsea?????

Always impatient
he.gif
just need to get bator to right temp and stable
lau.gif

Quote:
caf.gif

Wanted to share in hopes that this may help someone!

During the last hatch, I had two sets of eggs from different breeders. One set a day behind the others. On day 21, one of the chicks had hatched and somehow gotten tangled in the incubator fan wires. I cracked the incubator open to retrieve the chick, and in doing so, I accidentally cracked the top open on one of the Day 20 eggs!!!!! Luckily, it had pipped internally, but the membrane quickly started to dry out! I followed @Sally Sunshine assisted hatching 101 found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

The little chick was doing well, but even after peeling back the membrane and uncountable hours, it wasn't coming out of the shell. It finally unfolded it's head but still did not emerge. As suggested by Sally, I placed the egg, wrapped in a warm wet paper towel, inside a small cup in the incubator. I went to dinner, and when I came back, there was the chick! Out of the cup!

Next issue: curled toes and umbilical cord still attached! Unfortunately, the chick struggled to move around between the curled toes and the umbilical cord. Once it was somewhat dry, I removed it long enough to give it Nutri Drench ( a live saver btw if you don't have it). I then left it in the incubator until the cord and matter attached to it had dried and fallen off. I put a little bit of Betadine on the piece of cord still attached.

By the next day, one foot straightened out, but the other one still wasn't quite right, so I fashioned a little boot for the chick, placed it in the brooder and gave it Sav A Chick Electrolytes (another chick must have). I also provided it with small bits on scrambled egg yolk.

It's been a week now since this whole uhh adventure? started, but the chicks feet are completely corrected and it seems to be doing great! This was my first ever assisted hatch, and I couldn't be more pleased. Thank you Sally for your help and advice!!! Here is a little collage of the whole process. I hope this will help someone else!!!!!

yesss.gif

WELCOME!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom