May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

The breeder told me two pairs would be fine together but I feel like I read a lot of people here say they have to pen pairs separate during breeding season. What do you do?
My quad are pretty cranky with the other birds right now. It would be better if I had them separate. Next year, I will. That said, it hasn't been a real big problem. Mine free range all day and there's a little creek, at least in spring. That takes off most of the pressure.

It's good that I don't really need the shed coop for chickens, though. The geese have made their nests there and yell at anyone who comes in. The chickens and turkeys have taken to laying their eggs in the mangers in the cow shed (which the cows aren't using much at present).

At any rate, I vote yes... build the geese a small kingdom of their own complete with a "courtyard," preferably in a nice orchard or grove. They will fertilize and keep the weeds down in return for fallen fruit and recently-mown lawns.

If you want them to breed, they will need water to accomplish the deed, whether a kiddie pool or something nicer--otherwise they'll do fine with a frequently refreshed bucket of water.

The breeder told me two pairs would be fine together but I feel like I read a lot of people here say they have to pen pairs separate during breeding season. What do you do?
Oh... I just reread your question. I was thinking "separate from other poultry and you meant giving each pair of geese their own pen. I don't know about that, but I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe just make allowances to put a run of wire between them in case you need it?

I just ordered two pairs of Sebastopols. I have to drive three hours to pick them up next week. Worth. It. They’ll be a mix of colors. This is their flock...

View attachment 2139963

Also.... @dougieee jinkxed me. I have another broody. I can’t NOT let her hatch a couple. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my friend with the olive eggers has a hen sitting she may just give me some of those already started. I may be in this hatch a long after all!

I love sebastopols, they look like old mop heads that are frayed and ready to be thrown out :D

Here are my little ones that hatched on May 4th. Included are a few ducklings I had shipped.

0A51E40C-F477-4016-90E2-E797664C1BFA.jpeg 4DF615E4-D257-47A9-AF00-EB17DD9562DA.jpeg

I thought that this was an enabler forum?
It’s now Hatchers Anonymous...

Hi, my name is Krista and I wake up some mornings with eggs I don’t remember putting in the bator. Sometimes I catch myself replying to local ads for hatching eggs and delete the draft before I send it.

It’s now Hatchers Anonymous...

Hi, my name is Krista and I wake up some mornings with eggs I don’t remember putting in the bator. Sometimes I catch myself replying to local ads for hatching eggs and delete the draft before I send it.
Hi my name is Shawn, I am planning hatches out to August to "properly prepare for next breeding season". Or at least that is what I tell my wife.

Back
Top Bottom