May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Lol, My friend and I were mildly obsessed over her rooster not providing fertilized eggs. We set eggs under her broody and in the incubator, cracked open sooo many eggs to check for bullseye's and she even sat out there and watched him to see what he was doing wrong. It was mildly hilarious because we were borderline prepared to try artificial insemination, just to confirm that he was indeed sterile. Fortunately it didn't come to that. I set 12 eggs from his favorite True Blue hens and 5 are developing beautifully in the incubator right now! :celebrate
I went as far as plucking feathers around both birds vents and that was my line. After their bikini wax I was like if this doesn’t do it I’m leaving these poor birds alone😝 watch them hatch out a nest full at their new home🤦🏼‍♀️

Wow I had a lot to catch up on here. Haha! Looks like we’re all trucking along as usual. :)

I wanted to share my funky air cells on 2 of the duck eggs. I don’t know if they’ll cause a problem later on down the road, but we’re on day 17 with lots of movement and good veining so I’m hopeful. I have 4 sebrights due to hatch around the same time and they’re coming along well, on day 9.
So here are the air cells on the 2 that are most affected. The third egg has a very slight saddle and I’m not too concerned about it
1E53BAB8-D422-4871-B4BD-6957D29CCD29.jpeg
DB069B80-448D-4F6A-8580-4C2A0D818797.jpeg

These have an almost normal air cell on the other side. It only extends down onto the one side like this. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Sorry for the poor quality pics, my phone didn’t want to focus where I wanted it to. 😝

I need to candle all my eggs tonight. I was going to do it last night but I was too tired and ended up falling asleep.

Same here. I've been a mess this month. Barely any candling, forgetting to take pictures when I do.... forgetting that eggs hatch when they're incubated... hahaha! :gig

We have a baby!!!!!!! :weeI've been checking for pips all day and nothing. Ran out for a little bit and when we got back this adorable one was staring up at me!!! Easter egger mama and red cochin bantam dad. Got the chipmunk pattern of its mom and the feathered legs and feet of its dad! :love

View attachment 2143821
Congratulations!!

Two more have hatched, and one more is in the process! Three more are pipped!
View attachment 2144311

So far, we have 10 babies, two more pipping, and 4 doing nothing yet. It's day 21 for most of them and day 20 for the others. This is my first time hatching since I was a kid, and I'm very happy with the results! :) I honestly didn't think we'd have so much success.

Here are the first 8. Two more are still in the incubator.
IMG_5344.JPG

Back
Top Bottom