May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

I hatched 5 Black Copper Maran's chicks for the Easter HAL - 3 pullets and 2 cockerels. I was going to keep 2 pullets, but my neighbor was wanting to buy 2 from me if I had enough. After lots of thought, I decided that I am going to sell her 2 and keep 1 and then do another hatch of Black Copper Marans (I will keep 1 pullet from that hatch and sell the rest). .........Sign me up for the July hatch along because my incubator is full for June. LOL!

Touch and go situation here - my hens crushed one of my remaining Day 21 eggs in the coop (it was just about to internally pip). Pretty solidly crushed, blood oozing through the shell fragments - the whole nine. I thought it was a write off for sure, so close to hatching yet with the veins still bold and red in the membrane. Regardless, I rushed it inside, stemmed the bleeding as best I could and tucked it underneath the brooder in its own bowl. It's still alive and now peeping two hours later. I internally pipped it when I brought it in as it was ready to do so. Moistening the membrane every hour. I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but it seems like this one is determined to make it! The other one has pipped under the hen and should hatch tonight. :)

Touch and go situation here - my hens crushed one of my remaining Day 21 eggs in the coop (it was just about to internally pip). Pretty solidly crushed, blood oozing through the shell fragments - the whole nine. I thought it was a write off for sure, so close to hatching yet with the veins still bold and red in the membrane. Regardless, I rushed it inside, stemmed the bleeding as best I could and tucked it underneath the brooder in its own bowl. It's still alive and now peeping two hours later. I internally pipped it when I brought it in as it was ready to do so. Moistening the membrane every hour. I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but it seems like this one is determined to make it! The other one has pipped under the hen and should hatch tonight. :)
Hope the little guy is ok!:)

Come unbox with me! 12 eggs...
Bella Haga farms of ebay...opened the lid... Nuts...
mcc.PNG
mcb.PNG
mca.PNG
mc.PNG

exactly 12, but the aircells are good, no cracks. Blue (legbars mixes could olive out) and brown eggs. (mixes, could hatch out olives)
They are resting, I am waiting for more eggs tomorrow, 12 from Meyers, and a few white ones (fayoumi mixes) from a chicken pal. Aiming for a Sat set.

Hope the little guy is ok!:)

It's made it to three hours now, but I'll be very busy until it's ready to come out of the membrane if it makes it that far. I would estimate it has 24hrs to go yet (perhaps even more as it was just in the process of internally pipping). It's moving more and becoming more vocal so there's hope. I'd post a photo so you can all see how bad it really is, but I don't know if it would be a little too much for some folks...

I have a little black East Indie duckling!! It is from my own hen. She still has to kick the shell off but she is mostly out. One of my shipped has finally internally pipped. So I am hoping that both will finish hatching soon. Was really hoping to get four out of this hatch. 6 made it to lockdown and now only two have started to hatch. I am a little worried about two of the three that haven’t pipped but I am trying hard to sit on my hands.

Once I get all the breeds I want and get my new coop built next summer, I will be much more likely to hatch eggs or sell hatching eggs from my own flock. I just need a bit more variety. So far, I think that out of 13 shipped egg orders...only having 3 bad shipments/hatches isn't too terrible.
I got mine from neighbors, and usually I don’t have such issues. Kind of a bummer but I think I’ll have better luck next time

Back
Top Bottom