mean rooster

:rolleyes:
Is there a need to hold him? I suspect he's pecking you because you're scaring him and that's his self defense. Most animals will fight back when feeling threatened.

I just like to be able to hold them when showing prospective buyers of off spring. I guess is not 'neccessay', but i am able to catch and hold all my other roos. I bought him at 8 weeks old and have hand raised him.

While we are on this subject, maybe someone can answer a question of mine. I have a BEAUTIFUL blue Orpington roo that i bought as a chick (was suppose to be a hen but is not) who is not any problem with people, other birds or my little Rat Terrier dogs. BUT, when i catch him and am holding him he pecks at me ferociously, drawing blood on my holding hand numerous times. I will still keep him, and just not try to hold him, unless i can get some tips to make him stop. I've thumped him on his break and head but that doesn't help.

Wear a heavy glove and heavy jacket, When he pecks you, do you flinch and/or drop him? If he sees that pecking isnt doing him any good, then he will stop and admit defeat. Or pick him up and give him some treats, i typically kept a pack of earthworms in the fridge, live bait is so enticing to chickens. Pick him up and give him one, the squirming will cath his eye and the yummies will make him forget hes being held.

Wear a heavy glove and heavy jacket, When he pecks you, do you flinch and/or drop him? If he sees that pecking isnt doing him any good, then he will stop and admit defeat. Or pick him up and give him some treats, i typically kept a pack of earthworms in the fridge, live bait is so enticing to chickens. Pick him up and give him one, the squirming will cath his eye and the yummies will make him forget hes being held. 

FYI, earthworms can be carriers of multiple types of worms, including tapeworms. Best to avoid feeding them.

FYI, earthworms can be carriers of multiple types of worms, including tapeworms. Best to avoid feeding them.
Ill jump on the bandwagon of many other users, Ive personally never had a problem with worms of any sort. But ill jot this down in my chicken book

Back
Top Bottom