medications/ first aid kit for chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Sep 24, 2011.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I am wondering if anyone has a list of the most common used meds and their uses when you are treating chickens for illnesses. I am trying to get a first aid kit put together and need to see what I can get. Thanks.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
  3. Judy

Judy Crowing Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I do not keep any systemic antibiotics, and don't plan to. They expire, can be obtained if needed, and are too often given incorrectly -- when they shouldn't be, or the wrong one.

You can buy antibiotic ophthalmic ointment in a feed store off the shelf. You can also use plain Neosporin ointment in the eye.

Amprolium is not an antibiotic and is indeed a good thing to have on hand if your flock gets sick with cocci, as it needs quick treatment. On the other hand, I've had several flocks and have never seen a case of cocci. Also, broody raised chicks are evidently less likely to get sick with cocci, probably because they get some additional immunity from eating some of mama's poop.

I keep BluKote and a pyrethrin/permethrin spray as a lice/mite preventative. I keep Neosporin, peroxide and Betadine for myself, and have used them on the chickens a few times. Simple enough to avoid cross contamination. I also have some Valbazen and will be worming my bunch soon.

4. ladrholman

ladrholman Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Thanks. I bookmarked the sight. There is nothing worse than feeling unprepared for something.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Your Welcome. I think I was supposed to link back to BYC. I need to find out how to do that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by