medications/ first aid kit for chickens

ladrholman

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Musquodoboit
I am wondering if anyone has a list of the most common used meds and their uses when you are treating chickens for illnesses. I am trying to get a first aid kit put together and need to see what I can get. Thanks.

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/1staid.htm This is a start. The articles are invaluable too IMO
smile.png

I do not keep any systemic antibiotics, and don't plan to. They expire, can be obtained if needed, and are too often given incorrectly -- when they shouldn't be, or the wrong one.

You can buy antibiotic ophthalmic ointment in a feed store off the shelf. You can also use plain Neosporin ointment in the eye.

Amprolium is not an antibiotic and is indeed a good thing to have on hand if your flock gets sick with cocci, as it needs quick treatment. On the other hand, I've had several flocks and have never seen a case of cocci. Also, broody raised chicks are evidently less likely to get sick with cocci, probably because they get some additional immunity from eating some of mama's poop.

I keep BluKote and a pyrethrin/permethrin spray as a lice/mite preventative. I keep Neosporin, peroxide and Betadine for myself, and have used them on the chickens a few times. Simple enough to avoid cross contamination. I also have some Valbazen and will be worming my bunch soon.

Back
Top Bottom